What's new

Button! But when were they made?

fbjr

Full Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2007
Messages
166
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Location
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.webpimage.webpJust curious if anyone knows when these were made and what they were for, military, etc.? Thank you for looking.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    662.3 KB · Views: 118
Great looking button. How did you come across this? This could possibly be a state deal button, but I'm just guessing. Maybe someone will come along with a button book and help you with an ID. Congrat's to you.
 
Upvote 0
It is most likely a state seal button but probably from the late 1800s to early 1900s. I could not find that exact button in either Albert's or Tice's books. Plus, that particular backmark was used from 1880-1920.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is a state seal, and an awesome looking button! Can’t wait to see it cleaned up. I know the civil war ( militia?) just had the arm and sword
 

Attachments

  • 6D0D20CF-C032-4E4C-8807-06A78B9E3EBB.webp
    6D0D20CF-C032-4E4C-8807-06A78B9E3EBB.webp
    112.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The two bigger pictures of the button aren't of the actual one I found. Mine is the dirty, darker one in the 3rd picture above. I just used the other two pics for reference as it's the exact same as the one I found, just much better condition lol. Couldn't find this in any of my civil war relic books either.
 
Upvote 0
It might be some sort of state official?? Maybe state police, idk, I’m just guessing
 
Upvote 0
Is the backmark exactly the same? If so it dates from 1880-1920.
 
Upvote 0
On no.......not the Swag Method....Lol.
 
Upvote 0
Yes, the backmark is identical.
 
Upvote 0
Thatsa really cool button nice display relic
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom