What's new

Button . .Civil War or earlier?

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Gang, I found this button close to a Civil War camp. I think the actual button is pewter. The loop is probably iron since it attracts a magnet. Is this considered as a CW flat button? It looks earlier than the other flat buttons I've found/seen, so I thought it might be earlier than CW. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas. ;D Breezie
 

Attachments

  • 1EarlyButton.webp
    1EarlyButton.webp
    21 KB · Views: 282
  • 2EarlyButton.webp
    2EarlyButton.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 3EarlyButton.webp
    3EarlyButton.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 268
Breezie,
I think that button is way earlier than the Civil War. I am no expert by any means, but I did spend a night in that hotel all the smart people stay at :laughing7: and I am going to say early 1800s
 
Upvote 0
It's my uneducated quess that it is much earlier than CW era. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Hi Donna,

It looks like a Tombac button friend. Used mostly from 1700-early 1800's.

Read more here.

http://www.chippewanaturecenter.org/oxbow/tombac buttons.htm

Mike, You nailed it! Thank you. I've heard of the Tombac buttons, but never found one. So FY & Thrilla, you too were right too . . .much older than the CW. Mike, after reading your post, I did some Googling and came up with this website. Scroll down about half way the page. :thumbsup: Breezie

http://metaldetectingworld.com/buttons.shtml
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom