What's new

Button - Eagle with Shield, Gilted, "S" in shield. (I think?) What is it?

Elad

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
570
Reaction score
123
Golden Thread
0
Location
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Button - Eagle with Shield, Gilted, "S" in shield. (I think?) What is it?

It's in rough shape. I just used aluminum jelly on it. Before I had, I could only see a fraction of the gilt. Now there is a lot more. I found this earlier in the year, but hadn't cleaned it until now.

Also, the back is toast... no detail at all, no shank. It appears to be a 2-piece button, just a tad smaller than a dime.

Is it a military button? Can anyone help me ID it?
 

Attachments

  • eagle-button-gilted.webp
    eagle-button-gilted.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 346
  • eagle-button-gilted.webp
    eagle-button-gilted.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 300
  • eagle-button-gilted.webp
    eagle-button-gilted.webp
    36.4 KB · Views: 356
Re: Button - Eagle with Shield, Gilted, "S" in shield. (I think?) What is it?

i dont know much about buttons, but maybe a picture of the back, a back mark might help with the ID
 
Upvote 0
Re: Button - Eagle with Shield, Gilted, "S" in shield. (I think?) What is it?

It is definitely a military button, Union Eagle. I don't know of an "S" designation though. It could be a plain shield or have an A, C, D, I, R or V in it.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Button - Eagle with Shield, Gilted, "S" in shield. (I think?) What is it?

From the type of eagle it looks like an 1840's to 50 button. There are some eagle buttons with letters that no one knows the designation for. I know there is a G but never heard of an S. If you could make out a backmark that may help date the button a bit better.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Button - Eagle with Shield, Gilted, "S" in shield. (I think?) What is it?

Thanks for the info...

One day I will find a military button in good shape... one day...
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom