What's new

Button ID help, and large brass buckle

Riggleman

Full Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2016
Messages
226
Reaction score
1,232
Golden Thread
0
Location
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last weekend i hit an old homesite, a still partially standing log/mud cabin here in WV. I'm not certain of this places age, as the logs are hand hewn, mud mortar, fired bricks for chimney, and hand dug well approx 20 ft. off, the cabin is/was covered in wood slats. I'm assuming at a later date. Up until a few weeks ago the oldest items to come from here were wheat cents, then i found an 1889 V nickle. Nearby I've found a few Civil War bullets and 2 carbine sling buckles, this same general area has also produced colonial items. And a sword pummel from war of 1812 (probably a CW item).

But the cabin was occupied up until the 1960s, but being rural WV, the home could be relatively newer, maybe late 1800s. I believe it is located off a main route, which explains the broad range of items. Any help or age on this button and buckle is much appreciated. Also, is a pic of the days finds all items were dug at this site except the bullet which was dug a few 100 yards off. Sadly the shank fell off when it came out of the plug. Oh and some silver came out on this trip also 😉 !
 

Attachments

  • 1576554180303.webp
    1576554180303.webp
    31.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 1576554189762.webp
    1576554189762.webp
    29.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 1576554221342.webp
    1576554221342.webp
    35 KB · Views: 78
  • 1576554230686.webp
    1576554230686.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 1576554240710.webp
    1576554240710.webp
    80 KB · Views: 83
  • 1576554249890.webp
    1576554249890.webp
    74.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 1576554268429.webp
    1576554268429.webp
    59.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 1576554311602.webp
    1576554311602.webp
    31 KB · Views: 92
Button looks like a Confederate 2 piece Block I that has been carved out.
 
Upvote 0
Nice finds! Pretty silver.
 
Upvote 0
Large brass buckle most likely horse tack late 1800’s. Victorian era Sterling brush/mirror handle. Spoon looks like early 1900’s plated. Harmonica reed could fall anywhere from 1850-1920’s. Nice variety of oldies!
 
Upvote 0
I get a "modernist" vibe from the button style. I'm guessing post WWII.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom