Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Results of club hunt

Our local detecting club held an outing today at a city park in Baltimore.
I would appreciate any help you may give in identifying the buttons I dug today.
The 2-piece eagle button has an "A" on the shield and the backmark reads "EXTRA RICH", "M&?"; it is 19+mm in diameter.
The 1-piece flat button is 17+mm in diameter and has a recessed backmark that reads "GILT" with arrows circling away from the word.
The small lead ball with attachement is 8mm in diameter.
The black cast tip is a half inch in greatest daimeter and was part of a longer device.

Thanks for checking out my finds and giving any insight on these items.

Cast_blacktip.jpg eagle A 2-piece_19+mm.jpg lead ball_pt3125inch.jpg OnepieceFB_17+mm.jpg

Upvote 3

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody will have a answer. The eagle button is sharp. I have no knowledge of military buttons, so I'm just going to throw out a guess and see where it falls. 1820's Artillery!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. I'm there with you; tried to id the eagle button but found no match.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Artillery button should read "M&C". According to my backmark book M&C has not been identified but it may be Meredith & Capner. They were in business together from 1829 to at least 1839 in Birmingham, England. By 1842 only Capner is listed under button mfgrs. And by 185o he was not listed. Two piece buttons were invented in 1813 by Benjamin Sanders also in Birmingham, England. So I think your button would date between 1829 and 1842 if the M&C can be linked to Meredith and Capner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread