What's new

Buttons Brass and Bullets NEED HELP

sodapoptop

Jr. Member
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
91
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab
All I know is that one is an Army I Button. Back reads: Scovill Mfg Co Waterbury measures 7/8"
Second Button measures 1", appears to be brass/copper and the front is filled in with a colored enamel figure.
9 brass shell casings and a few lead bullets & a few misc items. These were all found on the same piece of property.

Found on Private Property with the owners permission. I would be grateful for any help you can provide.

Thanks
 

Attachments

  • I Button.webp
    I Button.webp
    84.6 KB · Views: 200
  • I Button Back.webp
    I Button Back.webp
    69.5 KB · Views: 214
  • Unknown button.webp
    Unknown button.webp
    108.8 KB · Views: 203
  • Unknown button back2.webp
    Unknown button back2.webp
    64.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Brass1.webp
    Brass1.webp
    59.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Brass2.webp
    Brass2.webp
    77.6 KB · Views: 206
Nice Eagle button!! Late 1850's/early 1860's Union Infantry Officer's button!! What a rush it is t dig a button as nice as that!!

The lead, I am afraid, is modern and not from the Civil War.

Keep Digging!!
Sneaky6
 
Upvote 0
Wow! nice finds. The shells look like they could be .58 caliber centerfire transitional shells, had black powder in 'em, with a balloon primer. 68 on them means they were loaded in '68 (1868).......NGE
 
Upvote 0
Your cartridge cases are a variety but they are military and they are all .45 caliber. The R refers to Rifle Cartridge as to differentiate it from a Carbine Cartridge which would have been marked C. The 6 on one shell in your first picture of casings represents June and the 7 on the other that is visible represents July and the 88 is the year of manufacture 1888. The F refers to the Frankford Arsenal which was located in Philidelphia, PA at the time and was the location where the cartridge was manufactured. That arsenal closed in 1977 for U.S. Government Purposes. The casing without the primer visible is an internal primer Benet type round. The others appear to be center fire tinned brass cased shells. Yours are the 45-70 which would be the rifle round. The 45-55 would be a carbine round if you have one marked C. The latter number refering to the black powder load.

The Eagle Button would have still been being used by the military in the "Indian Wars" during the late 1800's so if you found the button with the shell casings, it would fit.

Here is a website with the information and pics of the cartriges. The pic below would show the packaging type for these rounds.

http://www.oldammo.com/november04.htm
 

Attachments

  • FA45Rifle1875.webp
    FA45Rifle1875.webp
    61.6 KB · Views: 170
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom