What's new

Buttons galore

Whatdayagot

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2015
Messages
619
Reaction score
1,986
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.webpSearched a small section of a old farm (suspected Tory hideout) found lots of buttons
 
Upvote 16
What's a Tory Hideout? Over here a Tory, is a political persuasion.
 
Lotsa buttons
 
So some of them dang loyalists were hanging out at your spot?! Someone left nice buttons, but I'm not sure how many actually date to the revolution. Nice scores!

Steve
 
What's a Tory Hideout? Over here a Tory, is a political persuasion.

Tory or Tories were people who during the rev war were loyal to the British also called loyalists and often conspired or pledged allegiance to the crown and did some bad things to innocent people and plotted to kidnap / kill George Washington amongst others
 
So some of them dang loyalists were hanging out at your spot?! Someone left nice buttons, but I'm not sure how many actually date to the revolution. Nice scores!

Steve
I believe they are mostly 1800s buttons not sure but this farm was definitely owned by a local loyalist during that time period and they were a prominent family here the guy who owns it now is a historian and has done lots of research on it maybe I didn't find the"spot" with those period buttons it's like 130 acre farm I only covered a very small portion so far will be going back
 
Nice one!!
 
well done great haul :thumbsup:
 
Thank you guys Hooefully this coming sat I will find some more cool stuff at this place the owner text me to keep Saturday open !!! Can't wait
 
Hi; From the pictures I can tell that at least 5 of the buttons are 1 Piece buttons which are older than 1820. I don't know about the other buttons as I can't see the backs on them. The 1 Piece button was basically put of use by 1820 and were replaced by the increasingly popular 2 Piece button ok. If you can find a date for the style of the crown on that button you may be able to date them much more accurately ok. My hunch is 1770 - 1790 for the dates of use. Te only one that may have value is the Crown one ok. Good Hunting. PEACE: RONB
 
NOW!.....THATS HOW ITS DONE!!! NICE BUTTONS!!
 
Thanks for the info Barker much appreciated and I think your right against the wind lol going back sat I suspect I'll find lots more as they were all over the place I found a odd green patina piece of metal curved like a handle it was sort of beveled with a bend on one end the guy whose farm it was said his dad found one years ago and he believes they used it as a tool to help close buttons onto costs and for their shoes I'll try n post a picture in case anyone knows what it is
 
The crown button on the back reads WHADHAMS co extra rich extraimage.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webpimage.webp
 
Top right read Haydens &co best extra rich right below that one read extra colour the one below that read Sherman& Brunson Waterbury the copper one far left reads Haydens @co best extra rich the blurry one too middle reads London extra rich
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom