Buying a salt water rig

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would contact one of our 'Supporting Vendors" they will help you with the purchase. :icon_thumleft:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just sold my trusty Silver uMax and I'm ready to buy my first salt water rig. I know I want a Tesorro Tiger Shark. What are he top online retailers I should consider buying from? Thanks!

You DO NOT want a Tiger Shark!!!! That is a FRESH water machine, a single frequency VLF machine. For $650.00 You can get a Minelab Equinox 600 3720-0001 | Minelab Equinox 600 | Fort Bedford Metal Detectors that will give you Multi-Frequency AND Single frequency capabilities. :skullflag:

Yolton

Sep 25, 2018
Welmington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You DO NOT want a Tiger Shark!!!! That is a FRESH water machine, a single frequency VLF machine. For $650.00 You can get a Minelab Equinox 600 3720-0001 | Minelab Equinox 600 | Fort Bedford Metal Detectors that will give you Multi-Frequency AND Single frequency capabilities. :skullflag:

thanks for this information!

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, I just read the Tiger Shark description on the Tesoro web site and they say it has a normal mode and a salt mode and is waterproof to 200'. Am I missing something? I don't want to spend that much on a detector and not be able to use it in salt water!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, I just read the Tiger Shark description on the Tesoro web site and they say it has a normal mode and a salt mode and is waterproof to 200'. Am I missing something? I don't want to spend that much on a detector and not be able to use it in salt water!

Ignore what the web site says it is NOT a salt water detector. The salt mode sucks, it is designed for hunting fresh water lakes, it is a single freq detector. The Sand shark is a salt water detector, a pulse detector so be prepared to dig every tiny piece of iron ever lost.

What is your budget? There are a lot better choices than a pulse detector, pulse detectors are very good on clean beaches but a nightmare on dirty beaches with lots of tiny pieces of iron which is what most tourists beaches are.

OP
OP
H

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ignore what the web site says it is NOT a salt water detector. The salt mode sucks, it is designed for hunting fresh water lakes, it is a single freq detector. The Sand shark is a salt water detector, a pulse detector so be prepared to dig every tiny piece of iron ever lost.

What is your budget? There are a lot better choices than a pulse detector, pulse detectors are very good on clean beaches but a nightmare on dirty beaches with lots of tiny pieces of iron which is what most tourists beaches are.

I'd like to be below $750. I'd like to be able to search dry sand and all the way to knee deep salt water with the same rig. What would you suggest?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to be below $750. I'd like to be able to search dry sand and all the way to knee deep salt water with the same rig. What would you suggest?

Minelab Equinox 600

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread