What's new

Buying Half Boxes

greg23

Sr. Member
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
322
Reaction score
86
Golden Thread
0
Location
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I was at my bank yesterday and I asked the teller if they had any half dollars.She replied no but we could order some in for you if you want.I live in Canada and was wondering if it would be worth my while to buy a $500 box.Has anyone had any luck buying Canadian half boxes?


HH

Greg
 
Upvote 0
No but I and all of us, I'm sure can't wait to hear results from your advenure.

Go for it.


Mojo
 
I don't think we have anybody in Canada who posts regularly. I've always wanted to see how people fare up there, and I think most of us wonder that. Go for it, and make sure you let us know how the finds are :thumbsup:
 
Yeah, I think it would be really interesting to find out how you did!
 
:D Inquiring minds want to know.
 
Hi Greg , I say drop the hammer on those halves ... just like we have to here ... persistence pays off ..best of luck and I too am curious how you make out , Ed
 
Go for it. It seems we all would be interested in the results.
 
I don't live in Canada but I bet there are even fewer people searching canadian halves than American halves. The world is your oyster bud. There is surely silver to be had there. Do dimes also...heck do them all.

Golden Silver
 
I would love to know the results. It wont cost anything but time.
Trading dollars for dollars.
 
I would say yah go fer it eh!
 
Yes I too am very interested in hearing of the results. :icon_scratch:
 
Make sure you post pics........haha :tongue3:
 
You would be better off buying dimes and quarter boxes in Canada. I'm told that the modern canda half dollars are smaller than the older silver half dollars so you could never find a silver half in a modern coin roll. It is possible that if you bought all they had in hand wraps that some of them would turn out to be all silver. You can count on any boxes they ordered being all modern. siegfried schlagrule
 
Silver Canadian half dollars (50 cent pieces, officially) are larger than the nickel and current nickel plated steel ones. From the RCM's website (www.Mint.ca):

Technical specifications

1908 to 1919
Composition: 92.5% silver, 7.5% copper
Weight (g): 11.62
Diameter (mm): 29.72
Thickness (mm): n/a

1920 to 1967
Composition: 80% silver, 20% copper
Weight (g): 11.66
Diameter (mm): 29.72
Thickness (mm): n/a

1968 to 1979
Composition: 99% nickel (minimum)
Weight (g): 8.1
Diameter (mm): 27.13
Thickness (mm): 1.93

1980 to 2001
Composition: 99% nickel (minimum)
Weight (g): 8.1
Diameter (mm): 27.13
Thickness (mm): 1.9

2002 to date
Composition: 93.15% steel, 4.75% copper, 2.1% nickel plating
Weight (g): 6.9
Diameter (mm): 27.13
Thickness (mm): 1.95

Notice how the diameter changed from 29.72mm to 27.13mm. I think it would be difficult to get an older, silver 50 cent piece into a current roll. You'd be better off with 10 and 25 cent pieces. The 25 cent pieces actually got slightly larger over time (23.88mm vs. 23.62mm) and the 10 cent coins have remained basically the same (18.03mm vs. 18.034mm).

Good luck!

Scott
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom