Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Science and technology have nothing to do with competition ...they all have equal technology bto there disposal

Science and technology have a lot to do with competition, assuming you mean competition between detectors and/or manufacturers.

Technologies are often equal and used by a number of different manufacturers, but not all. Some are exclusive in at least the way signals are processed. Some of those technologies are patent and trademark protected and can't be used by any company other than the originator. There was a time not long ago when simultaneous-multi-frequency was protected technology.

In cases when the technologies are indeed equal and available to all manufactures, offering those advanced technologies can add substantially to the cost of the detector, pricing it out of the target range determined by the maker. If you want a less expensive detector, expect it to have less advanced technology even though the technology is available if the manufacturer chooses. Those advanced technologies can substantially increase the effectiveness of a detector, but also increase the cost. All detectors are NOT created equally.

No different than marketing a car -- the technology exists to offer a top speed of 200+ MPH but you don't expect that technology in a Toyota Corolla, nor do you expect to pay for it.

None of this guarantees that any given individual will find that the more advanced the detector is, the better it performs for that individual -- this is where you're correct. Some find it difficult to use advanced features since they can be complicated. Others just don't want to be bothered with much more than turning the machine on and detecting. These are valid opinions. If you find more with a basic machine, you should be using that machine. But this has little to do with the actual capabilities developed into the machine.

I've said more than once before in other threads, use the detector that works best for you, not what works best for others.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Calabash -LOST- his gold coin.. Think about that!
Anyone who strategically places targets and strategically swings his coil can make it appear that the detector is doing things that in real world situations are impossible. If one would take his two nails his 2x6 and his gold coin and drop them on the ground and test them where they fall would make for a much more accurate test or comparison.
I see PSSF out digging his ass off, telling what the target is before he digs and you say his tests are bogus?
I call BS..

Detectingguru

Apr 18, 2022
Science and technology have a lot to do with competition, assuming you mean competition between detectors and/or manufacturers.

Technologies are often equal and used by a number of different manufacturers, but not all. Some are exclusive in at least the way signals are processed. Some of those technologies are patent and trademark protected and can't be used by any company other than the originator. There was a time not long ago when simultaneous-multi-frequency was protected technology.

In cases when the technologies are indeed equal and available to all manufactures, offering those advanced technologies can add substantially to the cost of the detector, pricing it out of the target range determined by the maker. If you want a less expensive detector, expect it to have less advanced technology even though the technology is available if the manufacturer chooses. Those advanced technologies can substantially increase the effectiveness of a detector, but also increase the cost. All detectors are NOT created equally.

No different than marketing a car -- the technology exists to offer a top speed of 200+ MPH but you don't expect that technology in a Toyota Corolla, nor do you expect to pay for it.

None of this guarantees that any given individual will find that the more advanced the detector is, the better it performs for that individual -- this is where you're correct. Some find it difficult to use advanced features since they can be complicated. Others just don't want to be bothered with much more than turning the machine on and detecting. These are valid opinions. If you find more with a basic machine, you should be using that machine. But this has little to do with the actual capabilities developed into the machine.

I've said more than once before in other threads, use the detector that works best for you, not what works best for others.
The legend will save many £730 as it did me and find just as much ..yes asthetically the deus 2 has obviously had more money put in and the expense seen in price is due to this plus the wireless technology ...but performance there's very little in it between deus 2,nox or legend really certainly not enough to merit the prices

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The legend will save many £730 as it did me and find just as much ..yes asthetically the deus 2 has obviously had more money put in and the expense seen in price is due to this plus the wireless technology ...but performance there's very little in it between deus 2,nox or legend really certainly not enough to merit the prices

I stand by everything I've posted. Some will understand my comments, others will not. The last word can be yours...nothing more for me to say.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so what you are trying to lead everyone to believe is because the gent in the video did not have the six inch coil on its not the same test

have news for you Tedyah the 6 inch coil on the Legend separates better then the 11 inch coil, which a six inch coil will seperate better on any detector, so yeah the gent in the video just debunked calabashes test hoss because he had the 11 inch coil mounted
You're ignorance on this topic
shows no news to me or anyone else...

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You nailed it...Home Depot nails and a gold coin the size of a quarter....People who ho dont test detector dont understand the nails and coin size MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD.
Exactly....not sure why I'll waste my breath but smaller coils do not always separate better....just so other people watching this don't get sucked into "fake news" from others.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand by everything I've posted. Some will understand my comments, others will not. The last word can be yours...nothing more for me to say.
Dont get sucked in by the....the.....I wanna say it so bad.....

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I know for sure is, if you jive with a certain detector better than another, then that's the one for you. I like my simplex, but love my vaquero. Lighter coil, no screen too stare at, only negative really is the lack of volume control. Depth is fine at about nine inches. Who really wants to dig deeper than that.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
targets ranging from tiny bits of lead to big lead spindel whorls...it's a very capable machine
So the fact that it's a very capable machine because it detects a large round piece of lead with hole in the center. Geez a $89.00 Bounty Hunter could accomplish that.
Those suckers bang in with any machine.
20211224_150806.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The deus 2 is not that much better if it is....iv got a permission right beside a DMV (deserted medieval village)in the UK and very close to an abbey....the fields are absolutely covered in iron completely and my legend was getting just as much as my mates deus 2...targets ranging from tiny bits of lead to big lead spindel whorls...it's a very capable machine ....deus 2 has only cost more to make that's why is £1399....you basically paying for the asthetics not the performance....there really isn't that much difference in performance certainly not £730 worth ....if my legend sees targets through a medieval village it sees anything
So what were your totals for the day out in the fields? Lead is an easy with machines, isn't convincing me one bit at the capabilities of the machine or person.
Just give me sense of number of noble targets in the pouch at the end of the day.
And a sense of what you got-hammered-greenies-farthings-little bits and bobs.

I haven't done much detecting on your lands (8 trips-1000hrs) but I have seen many that have had the best equipment and suck at detecting. The 180 version is I've seen a newbie get top shelf keepers as well because they're focused, the machines were mid ranged.

Head to head comparison between machines on the same undue target is the only thing that is justified.
When the user of X machine goes over the Y machines target and says no I wouldn't of dug it-and it turns out to be a keeper-that speaks volumes.
When this is repeated back and forth over and over then one can see what the capabilities are.

Whipping a coil over a test/set up target is one thing only-A TEST. Controlled and seeing some dude in a kitchen whipping a coil back and forth like a egg beater is a joke.
Out in an iron patch with 1000's of nails-or on a kitchen floor gee that's a real hard one to figure out.

Detectingguru

Apr 18, 2022
So what were your totals for the day out in the fields? Lead is an easy with machines, isn't convincing me one bit at the capabilities of the machine or person.
Just give me sense of number of noble targets in the pouch at the end of the day.
And a sense of what you got-hammered-greenies-farthings-little bits and bobs.

I haven't done much detecting on your lands (8 trips-1000hrs) but I have seen many that have had the best equipment and suck at detecting. The 180 version is I've seen a newbie get top shelf keepers as well because they're focused, the machines were mid ranged.

Head to head comparison between machines on the same undue target is the only thing that is justified.
When the user of X machine goes over the Y machines target and says no I wouldn't of dug it-and it turns out to be a keeper-that speaks volumes.
When this is repeated back and forth over and over then one can see what the capabilities are.

Whipping a coil over a test/set up target is one thing only-A TEST. Controlled and seeing some dude in a kitchen whipping a coil back and forth like a egg beater is a joke.
Out in an iron patch with 1000's of nails-or on a kitchen floor gee that's a real hard one to figure out.
Found absolutely everything bthe deus 2 found ...and also equal to what the deus 1 would find on that particular site ..iv been going there for few years ...it's absolutely covered in iron and lead plus obviously everything medieval,Norman and Saxon iv had also....I'm experienced enough to go off signal quality , variation of finds and depth of finds to say the legend definitely is competing....I had 2 hammered pennies,1 Norman cut half,,part of a pilgrims badge...about 100 bits of lead ranging from tiny to a few big plumb bobs I found plus spindel whorls ..the machine is just as capable when set up properly...tone break is key ...very stable aswell with very little falsing even when sensitivity is as high as 28 still glides in the iron

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found absolutely everything bthe deus 2 found ...and also equal to what the deus 1 would find on that particular site ..iv been going there for few years ...it's absolutely covered in iron and lead plus obviously everything medieval,Norman and Saxon iv had also....I'm experienced enough to go off signal quality , variation of finds and depth of finds to say the legend definitely is competing....I had 2 hammered pennies,1 Norman cut half,,part of a pilgrims badge...about 100 bits of lead ranging from tiny to a few big plumb bobs I found plus spindel whorls ..the machine is just as capable when set up properly...tone break is key ...very stable aswell with very little falsing even when sensitivity is as high as 28 still glides in the iron
Not much to show for going there for 2 years.
I'd say that should be a showing after a few visits.
If you're not putting 250--300 nonferrous targets in the pouch daily
Then there's still a bit to get learned yet.

Detectingguru

Apr 18, 2022
Not much to show for going there for 2 years.
I'd say that should be a showing after a few visits.
If you're not putting 250--300 nonferrous targets in the pouch daily
Then there's still a bit to get learned yet.
That's what I got in last visit ...you can come back with 100s of targets it's incredible...gets ploughed and refreshed every year ..I know my deus 1 inside out there really isn't anyone knows it better than me iv learned on proper ancient land for 15 years now ..not fields in US where there's no history at all ...I literally wouldn't bother over there....what u call a relic is scrap to me 🤣

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A bounty hunter wouldn't get one signal on the ancient land iv got ,
Pump the mighty ancient land chest card.:laughing7:
Just because the finds that are in the soils are ancient doesn't mean $hit.
Put a hunter that has had 1000's hrs on their machine and they'll produce better than most with a machine out of the box and a few hundred hours.
But then again most folks suck at detecting-at least I can admit it even after 50+yrs there's still more to learn.
Yet when it comes to the UK the superiority complex jades the mind.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's what I got in last visit ...you can come back with 100s of targets it's incredible...gets ploughed and refreshed every year ..I know my deus 1 inside out there really isn't anyone knows it better than me iv learned on proper ancient land for 15 years now ..not fields in US where there's no history at all ...I literally wouldn't bother over there....what u call a relic is scrap to me 🤣
See when you tote that shit we only have to read the air of borderline ignorance and the air of supreme arrogance.
" there isn't anyone knows it better than me"
"proper ancient land for 15 yrs"
"not fields in the US where there's no history at all"
Yup it tells me a lot-just another proper .........justifying their ability to detect.
Diminishing others to pump up their own self worth.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No History in the US? How about all the Brown Bess parts and Red Coat buttons left behind when we kicked your ass and sent you home?

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Detectingguru, I suggest you read our rules before posting again, we do not allow members to insult each other.​

One of our rules:

"Help keep the atmosphere at TreasureNet fun! Sniping, name-calling, denigration, and other generally negative or abusive actions are grounds for moderation. In extreme cases grounds for banning!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A coin shooter in parks and scratty side walks is not skill it's dross 🤣I literally wouldn't bother
Please don't 🙏
The readership has always supported the skills of each other.
After 50+yrs I can still gain knowledge from many, even the park coin shooters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread