What's new

california find question.....

Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
338
Reaction score
175
Golden Thread
0
I'm not too familiar with Monterey chert from California. Assuming this is a piece, does this show workmanship flaking? It was found in California....
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    93.9 KB · Views: 88
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    84.5 KB · Views: 87
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    89 KB · Views: 97
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    114.6 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0
JMO it does show flaking patterns. In your last photo is shows the ripple look of where the shock wave went through the stone. With it being such a small piece of stone the best one could say would be that it is a piece of left over's from knapping, if it was found on a site. On the other hand if found on a trail, driveway or any other place that gets high traffic from walking or others things then no, I have seen the same pattern in drive way stone. This piece is so small if it was at the bottom of a cliff or any other spot that had other stones striking it or pressing on it with a little force, then you would get the same affect. Hope this helps !!!!!!!!!!
 
Hey MonsterRack
it was found with this. I could be wrong, but this looks like a possible biface-at least a piece of one? What do you think?
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    103.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    64.4 KB · Views: 90
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    68.7 KB · Views: 90
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    105.3 KB · Views: 94
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    89.2 KB · Views: 85
1. look like chipped away pieces during process

B. use some hand lotion dude

3. what good autographs do you have?
 
A.almost looks like obsidian to me.

2. if so, I think it is a flake

Finally, because I just think so
 
I don't see man made workmanship on either piece. If they were found near of the surface quarries of Monterry formation guess either could be debitage from cleaning off fractured rock to get to better quality chert, but I don't either piece would have been knapped.

If they were isolated finds, I'd assume geological processes made and deposited them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom