Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
California's "Lost Padre" Mine Found (Again) - In 1927

“Lost Padre” Mine, Is
Found Again, Belief of
Mountain Land Owners
-------
The Covis Argus – October 7, 1927 (Page 2)​

A romance of the olden, golden days of California that has touched for a time the broad acres of Lucky Baldwin’s Santa Anita rancho and then shifted to the mountains southeast of Sandberg’s , on the Ridge route, has been revived with the announcement that the once famous “Lost Padre” mine has been found again, after a lapse of nearly a century, and that development work to uncover the long-lost vein of gold, declared to run as high as $5000 a ton, is now going forward.

It was Dr. B.F. Bragg, of Kentucky and friend of Lucky Baldwin’s, who in 1876 came to Arcadia with a bunch of thoroughbreds from the Blue Grass country to sell them to the owner of the Santa Anita rancho. It was while Dr. Bragg was in Arcadia that he was approached by an Indian who wanted a horse but had no money to pay for it. He told Dr. Bragg that in return for a mount he would show him where the “Lost Padre” mine was. The mine had been, according to the story, located in 1840 by an Indian and worked by the mission fathers, who in three years, according to the legend, took out a cool million in gold.

But one day the tunnel caved in, burying fifteen Indians, and the rest refused to go back. So the padres filled up the tunnel and concealed the entrance to the mine, which remained “lost” until the doctor made the deal with the Indian 24 years later. The property was re-located and it is declared Dr. Bragg and his associates took out $750,000 in two years. But death again followed the footsteps of the miners, for an Irish foreman went amuck, killed four men and flung their bodies into the shaft. Dr. Bragg escaped, but the mine was somehow “lost” again. Just before his death Dr. Bragg told Miss Annie L. Rose, now owner of the property, where the mine could be located.

After many disappointments, Miss Rose and B.E. Miller of Pomona succeeded, as they believe, in locating for a third time the missing mine and are now confident they will soon uncover the mother ledge, and the tunnel in which the earlier miners worked. Gold-bearing rock of high value, rich enough to show the metal to the naked eye, has been discovered in the workings already discovered, it is said.

= 30 =​

Based on the index I searched, there were no more Lost Padre Mine articles in the paper.

Elias Jackson “Lucky” Baldwin was a colorful figure in California’s rip-roaring 19th Century. Duke Hubbard, in his introduction to a reprint edition of C.B. Glasscock’s classic biography ]Lucky Baldwin; The Story of an Unconventional Success (1993) relates that Balwin’s 46,000 acre Rancho Santa Anita became the site of the Racetrack. Scenes from the movie African Queen were filmed there, as well.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

SGVALLEYMAN

Aug 16, 2010
San Gabriel/Los angeles Calif.
Detector(s) used
tracker iv
Re: California's "Lost Padre" Mine Found (Again) - In 1927

:icon_thumright: to Be more specific, the area mentioned is in Castaic, California Annie Rose, AKA Annie Briggs, was the daughter of William Rose of "Rose station" fame in the tejon area, Annie, whose brother was billy "Uncle Billy Rose" also live near annie in castaic, was mentioned in the castaic range wars of the late 1800's, also mentioned was the story that several people involved in this range war were killed and their bodies placed in the mine to hide the evidence and were later discovered... "Uncle Billy" was thought to have been involved somehow with the deaths.... interesting enough, there were several mining claims filed by annie in that area, as well as reports that she sold maps to the mine in the early 1930's to suppliment her income.

Recently, (in the past 10 years) A Man Named Hugh Blanchard ( who sadly passed away a few years back)claimed to have found the mine which is located on private property..He took pictures of the back country, the route taken and some mine pictures that showed evidence of real recent activity.
My feeling is that the "Real Lost Padre mine" has yet to have been found, too many inconsistencies with the numerous stories, too many totally different locations and too much artistic license in the re-telling of the story by the 6-7 versions alive today. Good luck. and cool story, thanks for sharing.

SGVALLEYMAN

Aug 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
tracker iv

in Reference to hugh blanchard and the Castaic mine

About A Recent Trespass Ending in Death
It has been reported by the United States Forest Service, the Ventura County Sheriff and local newspapers that a person named Hugh Blanchard entered the Property without permission and died of injuries sustained while hiking and exploring in the area of the Castac Mine. Hugh Blanchard was apparently affiliated with the LA Gold Mines website because photographs and written descriptions contained on that website make it clear that Hugh Blanchard and other persons affiliated with that website have repeatedly trespassed at the Castac Mine. The Owner has repeatedly demanded that Hugh Blanchard and other persons stay away from the Property because of the dangers and because the Castac Mine is private property and entry constitutes a trespass. The Owner has also repeatedly demanded that LA Goldmines stop what is practically an invitation to its readers to visit the Property and trespass thereon. Apparently, Hugh Blanchard ignored those warnings. IT IS DANGEROUS AND A TRESPASS TO ENTER THE PROPERTY.

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

SGVM:

Certainly sorry to hear about his passing. It's important that we all play by the rules. Additionally, hiking alone in rough country is a risky business, at best.

This appears to be the website:

http://www.lagoldmines.com/

There is a great deal of good information here, much of it gained firsthand. I did not realize that exploration included trespass. Not a wise idea. However, since it appears to have cost this gentleman his life, rather than judge, the rest of us can reflect on the matter and learn from it what we can.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

SGVALLEYMAN

Aug 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
tracker iv

Old Bookaroo said:
SGVM:

Certainly sorry to hear about his passing. It's important that we all play by the rules. Additionally, hiking alone in rough country is a risky business, at best.

This appears to be the website:

http://www.lagoldmines.com/

There is a great deal of good information here, much of it gained firsthand. I did not realize that exploration included trespass. Not a wise idea. However, since it appears to have cost this gentleman his life, rather than judge, the rest of us can reflect on the matter and learn from it what we can.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo
Indeed I agree with you Bookaroo, yeah alot to be learned from that story..but what his story and thoughts on the Lost padre mine do make, are some very interesting corralations with old timers of the day.. in the long run all the names ( of the principle players in the LP story) seem to both add credeance and confusion to an already convoluted story, but That's what makes it fun, trying to sift thru all the heresay with the option of maybe someday getting all the correct clues and solving a mystery once and for all.

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California

SGVALLEYMAN,

I know we've talked regarding the Lost Padre mine as it is of interest to me as well. I've been back to the Sespe "area" recently looking for a foundation. I'll be back up there again in the next couple months.

SGVALLEYMAN

Aug 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
tracker iv

tapoutking said:
SGVALLEYMAN,

I know we've talked regarding the Lost Padre mine as it is of interest to me as well. I've been back to the Sespe "area" recently looking for a foundation. I'll be back up there again in the next couple months.
Yes TapoutKing we have talked and I think you have as likely a chance as anyone in finding the LP. I like the fact that you use the sespe in your search.
Keep me posted on the search and finds, and Good luck to you! :icon_thumleft:

tapoutking

Jun 27, 2007
Simi Valley California

sgvm,

I'll let you know if I've come across any info or finds. I'm going to target the west side of the Topa Topa mountain next.

skavenger

Oct 18, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

SGVALLEYMAN, I would like the opportunity to share with you some information about the Los Padres mine, Red Rock Canyon, Hugh Blanchard and some things my father showed me before he passed. I have never logged into a forum like this or spoken to anyone about this topic. I am not an adventure seeker by any means. I live in Bakersfield, CA. I grew up in the SF Valley. If possible maybe we could chat sometime. [email protected]

Mark-

SGVALLEYMAN

Aug 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
tracker iv

skavenger said:
SGVALLEYMAN, I would like the opportunity to share with you some information about the Los Padres mine, Red Rock Canyon, Hugh Blanchard and some things my father showed me before he passed. I have never logged into a forum like this or spoken to anyone about this topic. I am not an adventure seeker by any means. I live in Bakersfield, CA. I grew up in the SF Valley. If possible maybe we could chat sometime. [email protected]

Mark-

Hey Mark, I sent you a few emails and no response. I'd love to hear more. Scott~Sgvalleyman

skavenger

Oct 18, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did locate your e-mail and replied. I found another site where a younger man named "David" had set some pictures and videos about the Red Rock area. I posted a couple of paragraphs about my Dad from the 70's through the late 80's. I am interested in anyone who is willing to go back there again. I am out of shape and would probably have a heart attack should I try it. BUt others would be interested in the years my Dad spent in those canyons. ( I spent a lot but he had many more trips and stories) I am also looking for anyone who was a real partner with Hugh Blanchard. Someone who spent time listening and hiking with him.

jwcave

Dec 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Located above Castaic Lake, registered as the Smokin Joker mine in the 1980's there are pictues and a vidoe on redtailtrails.com

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every couple of months I do a google search on LP and find a few new things each time. Although there may be 7 or 8 stories regarding the Spanish whereabouts and how Briggs had come across the mine there are many parts of the stories that stay consistent. Been following the pieces for about 10 years picking up where my dad left off in his spare time. LP is not something that I am constantly seeking but I do spend a lot of time in the San Gabriel's east of the 5 corridor just hiking or trail running.

Frank Knapp had a lot of information about the local mines and there are MANY and many more who sought the LP in that region. Remember this though, Gillett of the Gillett razor fame spent his fortune trying to locate the LP mine. He never located a huge amount but did establish a mine in the area . The Gillett mine is still active up there and was sold to new owners in the 70s who claimed to have found a new gold vein on their site and followed it to riches believing it was the LP.

There are several important facts that remain consistant and I do believe there is or WAS a Spanish gold mine in the mountains north of the SF Mission. Knowing the area well I can assure you it will be difficult and close to impossible to locate a collapsed mine shaft within the rugged NW San Gabriel Mountains.

However, reading recent info written by Annie Rose Briggs leads to another possible area in or around San Emigdio Canyon. Obviously I don't reveal all that I know but post this in hopes it keeps people hunting.

Good luck! And I hope its found!

MountainManDan

blazintowers

Greenie
Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did locate your e-mail and replied. I found another site where a younger man named "David" had set some pictures and videos about the Red Rock area. I posted a couple of paragraphs about my Dad from the 70's through the late 80's. I am interested in anyone who is willing to go back there again. I am out of shape and would probably have a heart attack should I try it. BUt others would be interested in the years my Dad spent in those canyons. ( I spent a lot but he had many more trips and stories) I am also looking for anyone who was a real partner with Hugh Blanchard. Someone who spent time listening and hiking with him.

Hi Mark,
Have you been back yet? Let me know if your still interested as I would like to make the trip!

Todd

Jul 30, 2013
Neenach, Calif.
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Foundation you seek is Up Mutah Flat way...it is very difficult to find, but I can give you directions! Unless you know what to look for a person can walk right over it & not see it. Directly behind that and up the side of the canyon wall is a Mine which has been blasted shut...no head-frames or any evidence of a mine being there, but it is. I have been there on many occasions. there's around 2 Tons. of high grade ore on a ledge waiting to be carried down by someone with a strong back
SGVALLEYMAN,

blazintowers

Greenie
Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Foundation you seek is Up Mutah Flat way...it is very difficult to find, but I can give you directions! Unless you know what to look for a person can walk right over it & not see it. Directly behind that and up the side of the canyon wall is a Mine which has been blasted shut...no head-frames or any evidence of a mine being there, but it is. I have been there on many occasions. there's around 2 Tons. of high grade ore on a ledge waiting to be carried down by someone with a strong back

ok, can i get directions? i want to find the los padres mine,,,i search alot and have clues...come on lets do this!

blazintowers

Greenie
Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey castaic kid, I dont think that is the mine in question, but none the less very interesting info! they sure want to keep that entrance closed...

canamrider

Jul 28, 2013
W
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blazin, I am up here in the Pine Mountain Club where are you located?

blazintowers

Greenie
Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi canam, im in saugus. i saw some of your vivdeos on youtube...looks like some awesome riding. i ride some of the trails out that way too, mostly alamo and frazier mntn from hungry valley. i check in every so often here, let me know if you want to do some searching!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread