What's new

Caliper Question

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
3,283
Reaction score
240
Golden Thread
1
Location
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,
As my metal detecting hobby expands into new areas and after reading posts from the people that regularly find old coins I think I'm going to purchase a set of calipers. I'm look for some feedback from people that have calipers and use them on their old coin finds. Since this is completely new to me what should I be looking for?

6", 8' or 12"? (I'm assuming 6" since I just need them for coins but if I'm missing something please let me know)

Digital or dial? (Is one better then the other? Is the dial easy to read?)

I'm assuming I need a fractional caliper?

Made out of aluminum or steel? (other then sturdiness I don't think this would matter)

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks all in advance for your in put. Once I decide it will be added to my Christmas list.

NJ
 
I would think that a 6" version will meet most of your needs.

I have inch dial version that I like. A digital is nice in the fact that most will switch from inch units to metric in a push of a button. With a dial version they are either inch or metric but not both. I just use a calculator to convert to metric the few times I've needed a precise metric measurement. Don't need to worry about a battery going dead or having to keep a spare battery with the dial version.

Stainless Steel is the way to go. It's the most durable and not that much more than an aluminum or plastic version.

Just like any tools you get what you pay for. I've had an inexpensive one for about 10 years and for as little as I use it, it's done a great job.

Harbor Freight has a nice digital version on sale right now:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47257
 
Thanks Jeff...That is actually the one I was looking at online. I have a Harbor Freight store around the corner from my house...now I just have to check to see if they have it and if it is the same price as online which is not always the case.
NJ
 
That is excellent choice and price. Go for it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom