What's new

Calling all Excalibur users - HELP!

lidigger

Full Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
155
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Savannah, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, White's BeachHunter 300, White's Prizm IV, White's Bullseye II Pointer (x2)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I've been posting lately about issues that I have been having with my Excalibur. Today it became official that I have a problem with my Excalibur. Let me give you a bit of background and then y'all can help me decide what I need to do.

I purchased my Excalibur about 2-3 weeks ago. I used it once on the beach and once in ankle-high water and finally today in waist-high water. The Excalibur that I bought was used and it was the first Excalibur made, which was serialized and has the horseshoe-shaped coil. Most everyone has told me that this is the Excalibur to have due to the horseshoe coil being able to get reel deep.

(BTW, I took the Excalibur to our monthly meeting the other day and I had quite a few members drooling over it, not only for the fact that it was an Excalibur, put also for the fact that it was in such good condition and had the original coil).

Although used, this Excalibur looks like new. From what I understand the gentleman who had it previously only used it a few times and had to retire from metal detecting - (I know, a good story for a salesman to tell an anxious buyer). Although, I have heard the story a few times at this point from people in my local club who knew the previous owner. When the store first got it they tested it out, put it under water to see if it had any leaks, cleaned it and ordered a new battery pack.

The first time I was out on the beach, I found quite a few targets - nothing amazing, but at least I was finding everything I targeted. The second time out, I was unable to control my threshold and eventually could not adjust it at all. It remained constant, was a bit loud and caused me to loose a good amount of hearing for a few days. (That was only a few days ago). Everyone, (including myself), expected that the batteries were in need of charging. I charged them for about 20 hours and went out again today.

Today I was in the water about waist-high and I found my first target within two minutes or less. (It turns out that it may be half of a gold bracelet, although that's not what I am writing about). Shortly after, my Excalibur started acting up. I was getting very warbly (?) signals. Everything was very inconsistent. Once again it was hard to adjust the threshold. Nothing seemed to work. I finally got myself out of the water and called it the day with the Excalibur. (Thankfully I had a Prizm IV that I used for beach hunting so the day was not a total loss).

Anyway, a friend of mine from the club was with me. He's been MD'ing for 17 years and he took a look at the Excalibur. He pointed out that there was condensation inside the machine. There also seems to be a small bit of sand inside as well, (although that was not from today, I had seen it). He thinks that it may have a leak, and even if it is not a major leak, condensation is getting in.

I let the Excalibur sit in the car for a few hours as I used the Prizm. Later in the day my daughter came down to the beach and I let her use the Prizm and I gave the Excalibur a shot again strictly on the beach. I found two worthless targets right off the bat, but then it started acting up again.

The times that the Excalibur has worked thrill me as it finds everything and is a no-brainer to use. I do (now) have the settings correct as recommended by nearly everyone who has the Excalibur. This is definitely a machine-related error and not user-error here.

So here are some questions for me to ponder.

1) Do I bite the bullet and put more money into this Excalibur to have it repaired, since it is the one with the horseshoe coil and I hate to lose it? (I paid $750 + tax for it and then bought a coil cover and a new set of knobs).

2) Do I go back to the store I bought it from, return it and use the money to buy a White's water detector if they do not refund my money and just give me store credit? (They are a White's dealer and not Minelab).

3) Do I get a refund and put in additional money and buy a new Excalibur? (I need a water and beach detector and plan to start diving again with whatever I have next spring).

4) What would you do? I am cash-shy these days and have put way more money into metal detecting than I ever thought I would at this stage. Of course now that I am using a better machine, I do not want to step down. If I have to get my $750 + tax back (I lose the money for the coil cover and new set of knobs), do I just put in an additional $200-300 and get something new?

Help, I am getting so frustrated with my new hobby.

Chris Jett / LI Digger
 
Upvote 0
i would open it, make sure it is dried out by placing the opened unit and some silica packs inside a large plastic bag, sealing it up and leaving it in the sun for about 8 hours.
then, lightly lube the seals with silicon grease and close it back up. if it leaks again get it repaired. call this guy and see what he would charge...... "bill branin" <highplainsdrifter.bill@gmail.com>
chuck.
 
GET IT REPAIRED It may not be the big seals that are leaking but the smaller ones on the knobs
 
Given the age of the Excal and not being used much, it sounds like your seals are leaking, even the knob seals. From what I have heard, Minelab is not fixing the old Excal's anymore because they no longer have parts for them.
 
Minelab will repair the old Excal if they have the parts, if they can't then e check with Bill like Seeker says....

I would not take it in the water again till you fix it, or it can cause more problems........I question why someone would tell you that is the Excal to buy and own, and I never would have spent $750 to buy the oldest Excal there is......Most I personally would have spent is $300....

If it was me, I would get it repaired so it works properly, then sell it and get a newer Excal version.....I paid $475 for my last Excal, blue headphone model, it runs like a dream.......

Good luck sir... :icon_thumright:
 
Get rid of the Excalibur and buy a aqua pulse.You will be glad you did.

Minelab=junk
 
FISHEYE said:
Get rid of the Excalibur and buy a aqua pulse.You will be glad you did.

Minelab=junk

Beg to differ, I have 2 Excals and 2 Sovereign GTs, none are junk and all 4 work perfectly.............

What does an Aquapulse run these days $2400? What does it cost to repair the aquapulse when needed?

I paid $475 for my last Excal that I bought over a year ago and it is still working perfectly.........
 
TH, how the heck did ya get such a great deal on a excal.. I never find deals like that dangit.
 
Bootybay said:
TH, how the heck did ya get such a great deal on a excal.. I never find deals like that dangit.

Always looking Booty....I check probably at least 5 days a week for used Excals... I was about 5 mins late replying to one that included a WOT coil with splice kit for $550 one day.....
 
aqua pulse? you mean aquasound. there is no comparing and you couldnt trade me 5 brand new excaliburs for a aquasound.they are expensive for a reason. and as for breaking they are made with quality parts. you break it its because you beat the crap out of it. just the one fact that in a life time i have to dig no more bottlecaps oh not to mention depth comparison doesnt even come close.you can think all you want. if you never owned one you dont know squat. the aquasound destroys any excal
 
Treasure hunter right...you have to be on it and ready to get the deals......think I got both of my excals for less then 500 off ebay. Had one for 4 years, other for 5, no problems until this year, 1000 needs a coil......falses like crazy when the coil cable gets wet, dryrotted cable.

think I would get my money back if I could, go for a newer model...But if not,....... some say that series, the seasearch coil/Gary Storm NY models were Hot..think they were 1994 to 97...Rare, very sensitive also,.......Sooo...if you send it away try here.. highplainsdrifter.bill@gmail.com

I'll be pulling mine apart in a few weeks, pic's, video..changing coil..remote PP , different Amp will email to you if you need, the end caps, 2 allens out, pull out plug/slowly, plummers grease/Dielectric grease {non-conductive, silicone grease designed to seal out moisture} couple moister paks, grease her......sealer back up..don't work send her to Bill......Good Luck...joe
 
I would bet minelab will not repair it they said at one time they were not repairing the old excals.
If you can take it back do that that is way two much for one of the old ones. I sold one last year for $450. Buy a new one or a excal II if you are going used.

Jason
 
Jason in TN said:
I would bet minelab will not repair it they said at one time they were not repairing the old excals.
If you can take it back do that that is way two much for one of the old ones. I sold one last year for $450. Buy a new one or a excal II if you are going used.

Jason

After Minelab issued the service report on equipment they no longer repaired, Minelab has said they would still repair old Excals as long as they have the parts available, but if there are no parts available then they would not repair it. The deciding factor is if they have the parts available....

Personally I would be looking to sell it and buy a newer version if it was me.......
 
snooksion2 said:
aqua pulse? you mean aquasound. there is no comparing and you couldnt trade me 5 brand new excaliburs for a aquasound.they are expensive for a reason. and as for breaking they are made with quality parts. you break it its because you beat the crap out of it. just the one fact that in a life time i have to dig no more bottlecaps oh not to mention depth comparison doesnt even come close.you can think all you want. if you never owned one you dont know squat. the aquasound destroys any excal

I do not have to own one to know it is way out of my price range, I also know they are very expensive to have work done on it when it is needed, I was told this by a current owner of one living in South Florida....

I never said aquasound were bad, I said they are very expensive to buy and to repair, and they are out of the price range of most water hunters......

By the way, you could sell the 5 brand new Excals someone traded you for your Aquasound, and buy 2 Aqusounds..............
 
Like I said I minelab is not going to repair a excal that old . They can not even repair the new ones in a timely manner.

I use to be a real minelab fan but they have gone down hill quick. Have seen and heard and experienced there customer service. At times taking 4 to 6 months to repair a detector and shiping back still not repaired.
 
Jason in TN said:
Like I said I minelab is not going to repair a excal that old . They can not even repair the new ones in a timely manner.

I use to be a real minelab fan but they have gone down hill quick. Have seen and heard and experienced there customer service. At times taking 4 to 6 months to repair a detector and shiping back still not repaired.

....And like I said, Minelab said they will repair one as long as they have the parts, they still have a lot of the parts, BUT not all the parts, depends on what needs to be replaced. I have owned 5 different Minelabs, 3 Excals and 2 Sovereign GTs, I still own 2 Excals and 2 Sovereigns and been very happy with mine....
 
I have 3 excals-2 with WOT coils & the 2 will have one when the warranty expires. Just had one repaired (granted it took 2 months & a bunch of calls ) but it works great. I do dig some bottle caps and not much can slaw when I use the Blue headphone ones now enclosed in a Peltor shell. I can also take them hunting out into black sand,iron & materialized ground areas. Works for me :icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom