ThatOneGuy
Tenderfoot
- Joined
- Apr 25, 2017
- Messages
- 3
- Reaction score
- 15
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Placerville, CA
- Primary Interest:
- Prospecting
This is a repost of a reply I wrote. I thought it may be a good reminder for any flatlanders. Stick to populated patrolled campgrounds unless you are prepared for the unexpected.
If you find a campground that isn't packed with families, couples and generally not intimidating folk - I recommend extreme caution. I'm born and raised El Dorado county, been camping for decades.
It is not uncommon to encounter bizarre situations if you find yourself in a remote area and display any potential weakness - particularly I have found that groups of men in remote camps have a tendency to get weird and even dangerous as night falls and booze and tweak go around.
Always be prepared to defend yourself and your camp - don't be paranoid but prepare with a firearm if you have one, and at least some kind of blade.
If you are isolated and just a couple camping with the dogs, move your camp if you find a rowdy or large group arrive nearby. At the minimum you will likely have a long night of irritating loud hooligans.
Over on the highway 50 side I've had confrontations with the rough redneck pickup truck of drunk or tweaked out wiredos - even a group of 2 encroaching on our typical camp of 4 men 2 women.
Even in the family campgrounds domestic altercations are not uncommon- when abusers or angry drunks get going at 1am they often don't calm easily- at least there you have Rangers to break it up. You don't want rednecks getting wasted and aggressive if you are isolated - pack and move if any potential rough group arrive.
I've seen weird camps be nice, come visit offer you a beer - they might be scoping your camp. I'm telling you, groups of nice people sometimes behave much different at late night - don't take the chance if you don't have the means to defend yourself.
Pay attention and listen to your gut if something doesn't seem quite right.
If you find a campground that isn't packed with families, couples and generally not intimidating folk - I recommend extreme caution. I'm born and raised El Dorado county, been camping for decades.
It is not uncommon to encounter bizarre situations if you find yourself in a remote area and display any potential weakness - particularly I have found that groups of men in remote camps have a tendency to get weird and even dangerous as night falls and booze and tweak go around.
Always be prepared to defend yourself and your camp - don't be paranoid but prepare with a firearm if you have one, and at least some kind of blade.
If you are isolated and just a couple camping with the dogs, move your camp if you find a rowdy or large group arrive nearby. At the minimum you will likely have a long night of irritating loud hooligans.
Over on the highway 50 side I've had confrontations with the rough redneck pickup truck of drunk or tweaked out wiredos - even a group of 2 encroaching on our typical camp of 4 men 2 women.
Even in the family campgrounds domestic altercations are not uncommon- when abusers or angry drunks get going at 1am they often don't calm easily- at least there you have Rangers to break it up. You don't want rednecks getting wasted and aggressive if you are isolated - pack and move if any potential rough group arrive.
I've seen weird camps be nice, come visit offer you a beer - they might be scoping your camp. I'm telling you, groups of nice people sometimes behave much different at late night - don't take the chance if you don't have the means to defend yourself.
Pay attention and listen to your gut if something doesn't seem quite right.
Upvote
0
Not looking for any trouble, but not gonna stand for any either. I saw a guy last weekend. He came out of the woods all camo'd up with a dog and a shotgun headed back to his camper. Seamed a little excessive to me. I just figured he must not be from around here. LOL There are some trouble makers here. Don't get me wrong. But most people are just folks. It's them city people you have to worry about, lol







