What's new

CAN ANY GEOLOGY EXPERTS OR ROCK HOUNDS TELL ME WHAT MAY HAVE CAUSED THESE MARKS?

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2020
Messages
4,477
Reaction score
10,424
Golden Thread
0
Location
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing earth shattering but was curious about the marks on this rock....found on the Oregon Coast...Thanks in advance :)
 

Attachments

  • 20210211_191540.webp
    20210211_191540.webp
    624.8 KB · Views: 109
Pectin Fossil ?
 
Upvote 0
Take a closer look, that is actually a shell in the rock.
 
Upvote 0
I agree. Section of scallop shell fossil.

fossil-scallop-shell-science-photo-library.jpg


a-small-fossil-scallop.jpg
 

Attachments

  • a-small-fossil-scallop.webp
    a-small-fossil-scallop.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0
That scallop shell fossil is beautiful. Thanks for the input. I think you may have nailed it! :)
 
Upvote 0
Nothing earth shattering but was curious about the marks on this rock....found on the Oregon Coast...Thanks in advance :)

Just don't read past the first couple forums! You might get to the Fossil and Rock/Gem forums. We wouldn't want you to have to read to much.
 
Upvote 0
I was going to say "Bigfoot", but it's a proven fact he only has 5 toes. :)
 
Upvote 0
They nailed it! It is a fossil in a rock for sure, probably the pecten species.
 
Upvote 0
I tried looking up the age...it went from 70 million to 0.0 million...meaning?
 
Upvote 0
The creature has been on earth and available for fossilization for the last 70 million years.
 
Upvote 0
I tried looking up the age...it went from 70 million to 0.0 million...meaning?

Some of the Pacific Coastal fossilized pectens are a mere 2,000,000 years old. Young compared to most others.
 
Upvote 0
IMO - dont hit me -
marks look modern
the grooves do match the the stones patina
fresh marks
prop marks?
manmade scuffs
brady
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom