can anyone age this religious medallion?

C

coloradocav

Attachments

• serpentstpaola.jpg
    serpentstpaola.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 543
Upvote 0

Steve0

Feb 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI, Minelab excalibur
sorry cannot tell from the picture is there anything on the back.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Welcome to TreasureNet!

No guess on the age, but St. Francis of Paola is the patron saint of sailors, navigators, pilots, and those of other naval/maritime professions. Here is a replica of an 18th century medallion depicting him. (The original was recovered from a 1772 shipwreck.)

6210lg.jpg

As you noted, the rendering of his name as "Francois" suggests that your medallion is French in origin, or at least was intended for French-speaking Catholics.

More info about him at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_of_Paola

OP
OP
C

coloradocav

Steve0 said:
No the back is worn completely smooth, whoever wore this medallion wore it for a long time.

OP
OP
C

coloradocav

Steve0 said:
Nothing on the back it's worn down pretty smooth and thin, whoever wore this medallion must have used it for years.

OP
OP
C

coloradocav

PBK said:
Welcome to TreasureNet!

No guess on the age, but St. Francis of Paola is the patron saint of sailors, navigators, pilots, and those of other naval/maritime professions. Here is a replica of an 18th century medallion depicting him. (The original was recovered from a 1772 shipwreck.)

As you noted, the rendering of his name as "Francois" suggests that your medallion is French in origin, or at least was intended for French-speaking Catholics.

More info about him at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_of_Paola
Thanks for the web site i'll check it out. I'll probably have to assume that from my research of the area it was found, quite a few french trappers used this area in the 1700- early 1800's. The trade era items were an accidental find, I was searching an 1858 U.S. mounted riflemen's camp that I had researched. Found out that the spaniards and french used this same camp much earlier. Thanks for the info. this is an awesome forum!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread