Can anyone help identify this

darryl

Oct 13, 2012
It's 4" tall and 7" across top- picked it up at a flea market-may be copper or brass ?

image-2764294520.jpg

Attachments

• image-3249997745.jpg
    image-3249997745.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 153
OP
OP
darryl

darryl

Oct 13, 2012
Thanks for the help- I Also was thinking porthole when I first spotted it- it's built sturdy-has a very well made hinge- thanks again

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it have been a porthole that someone made into a container by welding a metal bottom on it? Any signs of weld marks?

OP
OP
darryl

darryl

Oct 13, 2012
Archeodeb said:
Could it have been a porthole that someone made into a container by welding a metal bottom on it? Any signs of weld marks?

No weld marks-I'll post a pic of the bottom

image-3971228037.jpg

Notice the screen like section

Attachments

• image-2294019436.jpg
    image-2294019436.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 150

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is odd -- the top looks like it is meant to seal something in an airtight environment, and then you get a screen that lets air in on the side. If the lid was not made of glass, I would wonder if it might be a small furnace of some kind. You would put charcoal in the bottom and force air through the screen area to super-heat the coals. You would insert a crucible at the top (filled with whatever you were trying to melt -- at that small size it would probably not get hot enough to melt anything harder than lead, pewter, aluminum or silver, possibly gold, but not silicon bronze or iron.) Then again, glass takes higher temps than all those, so it might have been a good way to peep in and see what was going on. That would actually be a handy set-up for melting metal for casting small objects like lead sinkers, toy soldiers and other small toy/ game pieces or jewelry, etc.) If the top was covered temporarily with refractory material, it would get really hot, really quickly! Of course, this all depends upon the metal casing of this thing. If it is made of steel or iron, no problem. Anything softer and you might melt the furnace along with the metal in the crucible. It may have been lined with refractory material at one time, but the crucible would be awfully tiny if the lining material was more than an inch or so in thickness. Just random thoughts.

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thought... the three holes on the bottom -- spaced so perfectly like that -- look as though they may have been attachment points for legs. That would help keep the bottom from burning whatever it was sitting on if it was a furnace of some sort.

OP
OP
darryl

darryl

Oct 13, 2012
Thanks for the input- I'll start looking in that direction- I'll let ya know how it pans out-

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it could be the base for a Porthole Barometer.

I agree this makes a whole lot more sense than my far-fetched ramblings! It really explains everything -- GOOD I.D.!!! (I have to say though - it would make a nice little furnace with some tweaking and a little bit of refractory material. :laughing7:)

OP
OP
darryl

darryl

Oct 13, 2012
Archeodeb said:
I agree this makes a whole lot more sense than my far-fetched ramblings! It really explains everything -- GOOD I.D.!!! (I have to say though - it would make a nice little furnace with some tweaking and a little bit of refractory material. :laughing7:)

Thanks for your help Archeo - I agree with you it would make a nice little furnace.

jack bissey

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hi there,

I saw your item. We have one very similar to that..........but a bit more complete. The one we have is brass and houses a clock. It is called a "Captain's clock" and would have been used / owned by the captain of the ship. If I can find ours, I will take a picture of it. Ours open up just like yours.

OP
OP
darryl

darryl

Oct 13, 2012
jack bissey said:
Hi there,

I saw your item. We have one very similar to that..........but a bit more complete. The one we have is brass and houses a clock. It is called a "Captain's clock" and would have been used / owned by the captain of the ship. If I can find ours, I will take a picture of it. Ours open up just like yours.

Thank you Jack - I'd really appreciate that- thanks for the info .

jack bissey

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Here are some pictures........ours has a clock with label of Seth Thomas. Pictures are not that good but if you want better, let me know.

Attachments

• image-327652693.jpg
    image-327652693.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 146
  • image-1343964951.jpg
    image-1343964951.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 152
  • image-1397619239.jpg
    image-1397619239.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 145
OP
OP
darryl

darryl

Oct 13, 2012
That's it my friend - wow that's a really neat piece- I thank you again for all the help- this site is great- can always depend on getting assistance here - thanks Jack

jack bissey

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Darryl,

You are welcome......

The size you stated is also similar to ours........bout 7 inches diameter and 4 inches tall.

Can't tell the age but would guess from 40's or 50's. The one we have belonged to my wife's father who was in the Navy during World War II.

Hope this helps......

Jack

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Jack! I think you get the prize for sure. The barometer was a good, close second though. Who woulda thunk it, there would be so many porthole-like objects out there that weren't actually portholes!?.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread