Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
An ancient puzzle?

Parts to the Antikythera Mechanism? - At first I did think mechanical parts, but the triangle thingy throws me off. Maybe it's unrelated?

I'm curious how he came upon the people offering him serious money for the items. That should provide some clue as to their identity. Can you offer any more info (even just context) other than pictures?

TCK

Antikythera Mechanism.. good one... I LOL'd when I read that.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He also has no clue but someone has offered him some pretty serious money for them. The guy refuses to let him know what he thinks they are so he's not parting with them. I don't blame him.

I would REALLY, REALLY like some of the experts on this site to have a look but I haven't been on here long enough to know who to ask.

Any help is greatly appreciated. If anyone knows who the best identifiers on this site are, please pass this along to them if at all possible.
What was the money offer...you do know that.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What was the money offer...you do know that.

Actually I don't. I'm not close friends with this person. He posted about this on Craigslist under "metal detectors" (I'm always looking for another sweet deal) in my area looking to identify them. I suggested posting them here given the fact that so many on here are so good at identifying things. So, I just did it for him. My son was working with me yesterday and put up the pics for me because my phone is really crappy for that. I've only communicated via email with the guy and sent him links to the threads.

So I have no clue what they are or what they're made out of. I only know that a magnet will stick to them.

When I hear from the guy again I'll ask a few more questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You didn't ask him where he got them? are you messing with us?

No I am not messing with anyone and my information is very limited. I'm just trying to help the guy out as well as satisfy my own curiousity.

Refer to the above post for a bit more detail about the situation.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I understand correctly, you only know this guy through a Craigslist ad he placed under "metal detectors". And he claims multiple people have offered to buy these items from him, some offering substantial money, but none will tell him why exactly they want them or any clue as to why they are worth so much.

Has the guy hinted at all about selling them to you? From what you've said, it sounds like that very well could be his next move. I have no idea what these items are, but I'd tread cautiously if I were you because it sounds like he could be setting you up for a scam. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes to question #1 and no to #2.
he didn't even mention selling them. He's just trying to figure out what he has to see what they are, what they may be worth and why they may be worth something.

And yes, this is a strange post but strange things do happen; all the time.

Last edited:

cowboy7450

Jun 17, 2014
Katy, Texas
Detector(s) used
Tek. Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a old gears that when they were put together it would be some kind of boobie trap for keeping something protected

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I never even thought about posting a link to the ad. I only read it once in the middle of an extremely hectic day.

I hope I didn't step on your' toes per see! I just thought that it would help with all of the questions directed at you, to which you have no answers!

By the way, while some of the items are probably related in some way as far as parts to an instrument or device, some others more than likely are not. I say this based on the Craigslist Ad and the information that they were collected over a mile radius or more.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope I didn't step on your' toes per see! I just thought that it would help with all of the questions directed at you, to which you have no answers!

By the way, while some of the items are probably related in some way as far as parts to an instrument or device, some others more than likely are not. I say this based on the Craigslist Ad and the information that they were collected over a mile radius or more.

Frank

It's fine. I got another email from the guy and he's thinking about taking it down due to the overwhelming responses he's getting.

I'm waiting for his permission to post a bit more info he sent me. As soon as I know it's cool I'll put it up. I have no idea when that will be.

Stay tuned............

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay folks, here's some more info straight from the horses mouth. I promised I would not give out any personal info. I also will not be held responsible for any claims. I'm just the messenger. It's beginning to get just a wee bit freaky.

Here it is:

"These pieces have sparked such a interest that I emailed the lady I got them from and she replied, first off saying not to share her email, so respectively I won't, but to sum it up she says
Her husband Harold brought them home in 1964 from Spartanburg SC..
She says her hopes for me is that I don't become obsessed with them as he was, she said she specially remembers the year because it was their 3 yr wedding anniversary. She said she wouldn't explain to me what he swore on his life they were in detail, just that he was convinced they weren't from this planet. Blah blah that's about it..
What I know is..
I'm unsure of the metal, some are magnetic, some aren't , some are on one side and not the others, . some are sometimes and then sometimes not, some have a pushing resistance to a magnet
One thing I never mentioned because it freaked me out and I didn't wanna sound like a nut, just after I had gotten them one night during a thunderstorm one of them began to vibrate and rock back and forth and it wasn't from the rumble of thunder if you know what I mean.
Well back to work I was on break
Talk to you soon"

That's all I have at this time and if I hear more I will be sure to pass it on.
Let the fun continue...........

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Garrett424, I appreciate the follow-up info.

Yea, just as I expected, a quick online search conveniently turns up a UFO incident in Spartanburg SC on June 29, 1964.

It would be really neat for the pieces to hold properties not explained by modern physics, but, the skeptic that I am, I'm betting on misrepresentation of facts for financial gain. I just can't buy metal pieces with mystical properties being sold on Craig's List. The odds have to be in my favor here.

TCK

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I am not messing with anyone and my information is very limited. I'm just trying to help the guy out as well as satisfy my own curiousity.

Refer to the above post for a bit more detail about the situation.
Sorry, I thought he was a friend of yours or that it was your stuff and you were messing with us. I apologize...thanks for the explanation, I understand now.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett424, I appreciate the follow-up info.

Yea, just as I expected, a quick online search conveniently turns up a UFO incident in Spartanburg SC on June 29, 1964.

It would be really neat for the pieces to hold properties not explained by modern physics, but, the skeptic that I am, I'm betting on misrepresentation of facts for financial gain. I just can't buy metal pieces with mystical properties being sold on Craig's List. The odds have to be in my favor here.

TCK

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! LOL

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I apologized for doubting this post...amazing what the aliens of Spartansburg can do with two hem weights.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, I thought he was a friend of yours or that it was your stuff and you were messing with us. I apologize...thanks for the explanation, I understand now.

It's all good. Like I said, I'm just the messenger. I originally emailed the guy because I found the CL ad intriguing. It aroused my curiousity and after a few emails back and forth, here we are.

Just think, we may be looking at other worldly items from another star system.....or NOT!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread