What's new

Can anyone identify this button?

BenVa68

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2018
Messages
504
Reaction score
1,735
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug this in Va at a site that has a lot of Civil War history and also Colonial. It appears to pre date the Civil War. Its not very big. Measures .44 in. Possibly a civillian cuff button. I dont see any makers mark. Id like any info i can get. Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • 20200329_164837.webp
    20200329_164837.webp
    217 KB · Views: 124
  • 20200329_164826.webp
    20200329_164826.webp
    180.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200329_163924.webp
    20200329_163924.webp
    258.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200329_163918.webp
    20200329_163918.webp
    247.7 KB · Views: 73
You likely already know this is a one-piece, cast brass cuff button.
Without a makers mark, it might be American or English, date wise 1800 - 1820? :icon_scratch:

Wish I could've been of more help,
Dave
 
Upvote 0
That's an interesting design. Must have some significance to it, but I haven't come across it before. Good find either way.
 
Upvote 0
Pry just civilian, pretty flower design, not like there's anything wrong with that though.
 
Upvote 0
Yeah it really doesn't matter to me if it is civilian or not. I just love finding history.
 
Upvote 0
You likely already know this is a one-piece, cast brass cuff button.
Without a makers mark, it might be American or English, date wise 1800 - 1820? :icon_scratch:

Wish I could've been of more help,
Dave

"Cut steel" button or coup de bouton were popular with young men of stature in the last quarter of the 18th C.

Yours is a faux cut steel trying to mimic the stylish buttons of the wealthy.

I would put a couple of decades older - just prior to 1800.

AN00010246_001_l.webp

1777
 
Upvote 0
"Cut steel" button or coup de bouton were popular with young men of stature in the last quarter of the 18th C.

Yours is a faux cut steel trying to mimic the stylish buttons of the wealthy.

I would put a couple of decades older - just prior to 1800.

View attachment 1816467

1777

Thanks for the info. I love learning the history of the things I find.
 
Upvote 0
"Cut steel" button or coup de bouton were popular with young men of stature in the last quarter of the 18th C.

Yours is a faux cut steel trying to mimic the stylish buttons of the wealthy.

I would put a couple of decades older - just prior to 1800.

View attachment 1816467

1777

My first thought was that his 'button fly' must be down Matt... goes to show you where my mind is these days! :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
6
Views
826
Replies
15
Views
1K
Replies
12
Views
1K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom