What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Eagle Dandy Button?

HeatherM

Full Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2020
Messages
151
Reaction score
269
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Threw this in my pocket thinking oh cool another dandy button and was SHOCKED to get home and while thinking it maybe had a face on it, turned it to the side and saw an eagle! This is the third eagle button from this site. House late 1700s with several 1800s additions. The other two I believe are 1830s-40s from what I've found in the two button books. Those are two piece buttons so was not expecting a flat button to have an eagle. Big Civil War battle the town over but these buttons seem to be older though of course could have still been on a uniform worn then. I have searched through both Tice and Albert and see maybe one similar button but curious what anyone else thinks. I have marked a photo so you can see where I see right facing head with wing on the left. I also see some dots up top with a magnifying glass. Hard to make out right side wing and legs to get more details. I do not see anything on the back and button is 31.75 mm.
 

Attachments

  • eagleflat.webp
    eagleflat.webp
    232.3 KB · Views: 128
  • eagleflatmarked.webp
    eagleflatmarked.webp
    211.3 KB · Views: 74
  • eagleflateback.webp
    eagleflateback.webp
    121.6 KB · Views: 65
  • eagleflateside.webp
    eagleflateside.webp
    107.1 KB · Views: 77
I can’t see the back good enough to be certain, but I guess 1790-1820
 
Upvote 0
That red outline reminds me of a slice of bread. Time for me to go make a sammich.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice button! Hold the button in the morning or evening sun to see more detail once you get the correct angle. If it was my button I would soak it in lemon juice for 10-15 seconds to possibly clean and bring out detail. Lemon juice can discolor the base metal sometimes.
 
Upvote 0
This is the image I see -BUT- the size is wrong. war of 1812 infantry officer button.

1782511950194.webp
 
Upvote 0
This is the image I see -BUT- the size is wrong. war of 1812 infantry officer button.

View attachment 2258006
I see what you see to think it might be that but I do think his head is below the long thing you think is going toward the left of the button and his head is really looking toward the right of the button. I wish I could make out his wing on the right side of the button...
 
Upvote 0
Nice button! Hold the button in the morning or evening sun to see more detail once you get the correct angle. If it was my button I would soak it in lemon juice for 10-15 seconds to possibly clean and bring out detail. Lemon juice can discolor the base metal sometimes.
Believe me I've turned it every which-a-way in all the lights with all the pairs of glasses on and magnifying glasses, loupes and everything else. 😆 😆 😆 Scared to try cleaning too much but might have to try it.
 
Upvote 0
Believe me I've turned it every which-a-way in all the lights with all the pairs of glasses on and magnifying glasses, loupes and everything else. 😆 😆 😆 Scared to try cleaning too much but might have to try it.
clean it and you will see even less detail , it is toast.
 
Upvote 0
Believe me I've turned it every which-a-way in all the lights with all the pairs of glasses on and magnifying glasses, loupes and everything else. 😆 😆 😆 Scared to try cleaning too much but might have to try it.
I think the only thing lemon juice will do is bring out any gilding that might be left. Don´t do any more cleaning/scraping.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom