What's new

Can I get any opinions on this 1916 Merc from error experts?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2010
Messages
9,667
Reaction score
14,518
Golden Thread
4
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this coin yesterday. Didn't look at it too close until I took some close up's. That's when I noticed : 1) it's in really nice condition for an early merc dime. 2) it seems to have a split rim at 4:00 o'clock on the obverse, and again on the reverse. Is this unusual, or maybe a mint error?
 

Attachments

  • Merc front.webp
    Merc front.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 430
  • Merc back.webp
    Merc back.webp
    49.9 KB · Views: 439
  • Merc front.webp
    Merc front.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 442
  • Merc back.webp
    Merc back.webp
    49.9 KB · Views: 446
Im not an error expert but I have a little experience.. It seems its just a tiny bit off center but im really not sure :p
 
I have seen modern dimes similar to yours there. Mint error. :thumbsup:
 
On second glance, the error resembles more of a 'broadstrike' error since all the features of the coin are there-just off center--as compared to an 'off center strike' where one or more elements are missing.
Don..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom