Can I mix all sorts of coins together in olive oil? and...

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
and will the olive oil help do more than just remove dirt? I realize that if the date is worn off that cleaning it will not make the date come back however... what more can I do to improve a coin's appearance, as far as being able to read the lettering etc, other that just cleaning the dirt off it by soaking it.

I'm not sure what electrolysis does that a long olive oil soak does not do. Do they do different things?

Thanks,
Julien

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Electrolysis will get under and loosen up corrosion and such. Olive oil kinda does the same thing but alot slower. Im not sure if youd want to put silver in with copper, silver could get stained by copper. Actaully there is something called "coin care" and blue ribbon coin conditioner" that both work reallly good on bringing out details and dates on dug up coins. Just clean it first then apply and it will almost make the corrosion clear so you can see behind it.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is probably crazy but what the hell... why not use the olive oil in the electrolysis? ::) It's only a thought, never thougth it before now either. But I can't say either way, really haven't done much of either one.
I agree with JakePhelps, I definately would not mix any silver with copper.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone should try it, let us know how it works! 8)

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would warn against using olive oil as the medium for electrolysis. It is flamable and you are putting electricity into it, A real no no. It won't work any way as the water and additives play a part in the electrolysis.

Ed

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Me either, didn't know that. Thanks Ed, you're a life saver! :) Glad we got some smarty's around here for us dummy's! ;D

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a real smarty. Electronics is my game. I also cook. Olive oil has a lower burning point than say vegatble cooking oil. Anyone who cooks a lot will tell a tail or two about an accidental fire or two. Your best bet is to use water with a catalyst or two as suggested by others. Check the other post for what they add to the water. Keep safe.

Ed

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
Just to help spare your time, I have read many posts on this today these are the electrolytes that others have suggested to add to the distilled water for doing electrolysis:
salt (not iodised)
baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) This may be best over the salt, if just trying to use items around the house
soda ash (sodium carbonate) You can get this fairly cheep at a pool supply store, suggested Aqua Clear brand (but brand does not matter) with pH increaser and the ingredients is what is important, look at the ingredients and look for: ingredients: Sodium Carbonate......................100%
Hope this helps.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I swear by using olive oil for loosening dirt and crud.... as it doesn't harm the patina or affect the metal in any way. Whats the deal with olive oil? Anything we should know about?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
so what would be the best step by step process for cleaning old copper coins (say colonial coppers)?

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found that it cleans but also leaves the bronze coins here a little rough..not smooth.. I have stoped using it unless I have a heavy corrosion problem and may use it to get things started. I just use soft brush and water and soap... but these are just crude cast bronze coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions