Can someone help me figure out what is so special about this dollar bill!

AdaLuvlace

Greenie
Feb 21, 2013
My grandmother having lived through the depression seems to have kept everything she has ever owned...including the receipt, warranty and signed witness statements. I'm exaggerating obviously but I'm not sure how valuable this stuff is or how much is simple "save everything that might be something" kinda thinking (She's 93 btw). I have no knowledge of currency collecting and after hours of googling I realized I have no clue what I am doing. So here is what I have...

She has a 1969 Series D One Dollar wrapped up in plastic. This is odd bc they didn't even keep silver certificates and hundreds this carefully tended to. What I notice is it looks shifted on the paper. The numbers aren't unique. There is no star in the serial number. The treasury seal is not in the right place, it looks shifted up...that or the ONE is shifted down. The number 6 that is in the four corners actually touches the leaf of the number 1 on the right upper corner. Also the most obvious there is no margin on the bottom. You would almost think the bill was cut wrong but when you flip it over the back is completely normal looking. So here are some pictures and maybe there is an expert here that can give me a reason as to why my grandmother wrapped this dollar up in plastic.

image-2206342277.jpg

image-3485664111.jpg

image-1954830448.jpg

Here is the bill side by side with one of mine just so you can see the obvious difference.

Attachments

• image-1600279614.jpg
    image-1600279614.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 415

Delpirt

Feb 19, 2013
Portland Oregon
Detector(s) used
Cheapo Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have there is a misaligned overprint. Depending on the condition of the note and severity of the printing error they can be worth quite a bit more than face value. I bet there is someone here who could shed some light on what your bill is actually worth. Other than that you could stop by a local coin shop and ask them what they think it's worth. Just so you don't get your hopes up, it's not going to make you rich. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
AdaLuvlace

AdaLuvlace

Greenie
Feb 21, 2013
What you have there is a misaligned overprint. Depending on the condition of the note and severity of the printing error they can be worth quite a bit more than face value. I bet there is someone here who could shed some light on what your bill is actually worth. Other than that you could stop by a local coin shop and ask them what they think it's worth. Just so you don't get your hopes up, it's not going to make you rich. :thumbsup:

Well I certainly had no idea misaligned money was collected! I was way more interested in her stash of silver dollars and old coins. Hopefully someone here will have something to add like you said. I am in the swamp down here so I will have to look to find somewhere that deals with currency collecting.

Hey thanks so much for your help! So much appreciated!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey, you're not a cousin to shelby stanga are you?

Delpirt

Feb 19, 2013
Portland Oregon
Detector(s) used
Cheapo Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I certainly had no idea misaligned money was collected! I was way more interested in her stash of silver dollars and old coins. Hopefully someone here will have something to add like you said. I am in the swamp down here so I will have to look to find somewhere that deals with currency collecting.

Hey thanks so much for your help! So much appreciated!

No problem. Any coin shop usually deals in paper money collectibles too.

Here's one that sold on Ebay for $5 and some change...
1974 $1 Note Misaligned or Miscut | eBay

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Minor misaligned overprints--though interesting to observe (also known as 'shifted overprints') are easily found in circulation. As you might imagine, bills with major shifts (say an inch or more out of place) command much greater values. As "Delprit" pointed out above, Ebay is a good place to see what such bills are actually selling for. Look in "Completed Listings", not current asking prices, to see what actual sales' prices have been realized.
Don.......

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said you have some silver dollars? You should post some pics of them and we can help you out with those as well.

OP
OP
AdaLuvlace

AdaLuvlace

Greenie
Feb 21, 2013
You said you have some silver dollars? You should post some pics of them and we can help you out with those as well.

Yes! I will when I go back in the morning. I remember the design so I know they are this Peace and Morgan versions. About a roll of these Mercury dimes. Bunch of those wheat pennies and some with some Indian thing on it. Guess I need to take them out the old tin they are in. As you can tell by my superior use of coinage terminology... I have a bit to learn. I was just telling my mother I can't believe she had her SSN etched into every flipping piece of sterling flatware she owns. And I mean every spoon, fork, iced tea stirrer thingy... I guess it was just how they did things. I'm learning I guess.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
somehow using your ssn like that seems a bad idea

OP
OP
AdaLuvlace

AdaLuvlace

Greenie
Feb 21, 2013
somehow using your ssn like that seems a bad idea

No lol. Just can't imagine etching my entire SSN onto the stem of like 70 pieces of stemware not including all those other little accessory pieces. Not bad, just tedious.

OP
OP
AdaLuvlace

AdaLuvlace

Greenie
Feb 21, 2013

Ok so I took a few pics of these coins but I'm not sure if my photography is like fantastic coin collector quality but here is the general

image-3263998071.jpg

image-960612957.jpg

The bag of old pennies I have not gone thru to look for old or rare ones. Same for the two rolls of silver dimes. I did find this crazy looking quarter that looks like it's made from the stuff the make pennies out of so that's crazy. I found this uber old watch but I guess I'm gonna have to ask people under a watch forum or they might get all upset!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread