can you date a brick...

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I don't know how, but I know for sure that it is possible. Good luck.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Wouldn't give you much any disagreements either; although there's probably some folks out there that would swear they've dated a brick..

Seriously, I have 2 handmade bricks that I was able to date simply because I knew the background of the structures they were part of. One was approx. 1821 and the other 1889. I've also seen some bricks that have the maker's name embedded, but they are few and far between. Sorry,but that's about all I can offer.

OP
OP
H

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wesfrye53 said:
Wouldn't give you much any disagreements either; although there's probably some folks out there that would swear they've dated a brick..

Seriously, I have 2 handmade bricks that I was able to date simply because I knew the background of the structures they were part of. One was approx. 1821 and the other 1889. I've also seen some bricks that have the maker's name embedded, but they are few and far between. Sorry,but that's about all I can offer.

unfortunately I need it for the opposite reason, to date the structure in which they were found.

I believe Daryl had suggested finding a nail or something, but all I've got so far is a couple bricks(the rest of them are red powder in the mud) was hoping maybe could use them.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i don't know how you go about it, but watched [history channel] something on this a while back, there are collectors, i picked one up that is slightly larger than a standard brick with a gloss on it. haven't looked looked the name up yet.

tenbears

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II,ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be spending the next two or three months laying bricks :D :D i consider that a relationship! ::) :D :D ;D

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
mclmorizfat said:
Let me rephrase, can you take a brick and pinpoint a close time period of when it would have been used.( Although dating one would be pretty cheap wouldn't eat much.)

Here I thought you were going to leave that question wide open.

The only method I've heard of for actually establishing the date of a brick, piece of pottery, etc., is to use carbon dating. (No, thats not a website, relating to dating terrestrial matter.)

As with any dating, having a picture of that which is to be dated, would help. Other factors, such as specific gravity, size, weight, color, etc, are also useful. (I'm too tired to mention the related pun's that go with those terms.)

F.

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found 1 brick, married it, divorced it.

Found another brick, married it, divorced it.

Needless to say I am back in the masonry business ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If many of the remaining bricks have dissolved into powder it obviously is not a kiln fired brick so that should have some bearing on the date although I know not much about bricks. Monty

M

MTdutchpop

In our town there are kilns in the gulches for bricks plus an art center that made bricks. Then there was a compromise between bricks and concrete. All the east/west sidewalks were brick, North south were concrete.
Maybe you can date the brick by finding similar era construction in homes and figure your site was then built at a similar time. Even the area of the town tells a lot about the date of construction. Entire neighborhoods go up at the same time. With our town, many were mansions and competition was high. The newspaper recorded the construction of many of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread