What's new

canadian laws and shipping question????????????

dasherhunting

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2008
Messages
495
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Not sure if this belongs here but it does involve the copper pennies I find crhing so I figure its in the ball park. I sell all my coppers on ebay and have always stated us sales only. I got a question from a canadian wanting to know what the shipping would be to canada if I was interested. Can I even legally send coins to canada its 34 lbs worth 50.00 face . I didnt know if there were shipping laws on us currency, if not if he wants to pay a high shipping and run my auction up Id risk it . Any advice? ???
 
Upvote 0
I would also have a question of this sort, as I was planning on visiting a US bank to get a few hundred rolls of pennies and searching them at home, across the border. I am not sure how a Border Patrol Agent would react to that as exporting US pennies and nickels has been banned apparently awhile ago.
 
The way I read it I can ship up to 100.00 out as long is it is for numismatic purposes correct? thats face value Im assuming.
 
dasherhunting, I take it you have a Ryedale?? Im thinking of getting one myself.

HH to all,
Legend
 
Nope havent crossed that line yet just hand sort. I keep wheaties for myself. I figured I make 15.00 on up on 50.00 worth thats that many I dont have to dump then . A ryedale is in my plans though I really need a coin counter I am almost sure they are getting a littl over 50.00 worth I just go by weight right now . Been watching feebay on counters and they can be pricey.
 
So if I went to my bank in the States, where I have an account, got $200 in pennies and tried explaining my hobby to the Border Patrol Agent the outcome would most likely be that I would hand over my pennies, possibly go to jail and possibly be fined up to $10,000?

I see where they are coming from but still...its not fair :(

...Unless I don't tell the agent I have about 400 rolls of pennies in my trunk or my backseat but that would just make things worse haha
 
I've sold to a Canadian before. I leave the responsibility up to them. He has a postal box on the US side that he picks up parcels at once a week. It is up to him how he gets it across. My shipping is cheaper and I don't have to worry about confiscated packages. No risk on my part.
 
dasherhunting said:
Nope havent crossed that line yet just hand sort. I keep wheaties for myself. I figured I make 15.00 on up on 50.00 worth thats that many I dont have to dump then . A ryedale is in my plans though I really need a coin counter I am almost sure they are getting a littl over 50.00 worth I just go by weight right now . Been watching feebay on counters and they can be pricey.

WOW. That's a lot of hand sorting. How many boxes do you do a week?
 
Dont know if its true or not but i heard you cant take more then 5 dollars in american pennies over the border.
 
quiksilver said:
Dont know if its true or not but i heard you cant take more then 5 dollars in american pennies over the border.

"Specifically, the new regulations prohibit, with certain exceptions, the melting or treatment of all one-cent and 5-cent coins. The regulations also prohibit the unlicensed exportation of these coins, except that travelers may take up to $5 in these coins out of the country, and individuals may ship up to $100 in these coins out of the country in any one shipment for legitimate coinage and numismatic purposes. In all essential respects, these regulations are patterned after the Department of the Treasury's regulations prohibiting the exportation, melting, or treatment of silver coins between 1967 and 1969, and the regulations prohibiting the exportation, melting, or treatment of one-cent coins between 1974 and 1978."
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom