Canadian Penny Hunting

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have the value of canadian cents increased yet ?

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any compelling reason to think that the value of all Canadian cents would go up significantly just because they stopped making them? There aren't going to suddenly be fewer 2011 CCs, or 2001s, or 1973s or 1955s or any given year. Is it just that people might start hoarding them now that they aren't printing more, thinking the value will go up, and that might in itself drive the value up?

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question to Canadian penny hunters?
Have your sources of pennies all dried up?
Do Banks have CWR to sell you? Or is that a thing of the past?

The amount of Canadian pennies in the US boxes and CWR that I search hasn't changed.

Canadian Banks are no longer distributing the Canadian Cent as of Feb 4th (I think) of this year. I treated that as a going out of business forever sale.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there any compelling reason to think that the value of all Canadian cents would go up significantly just because they stopped making them? There aren't going to suddenly be fewer 2011 CCs, or 2001s, or 1973s or 1955s or any given year. Is it just that people might start hoarding them now that they aren't printing more, thinking the value will go up, and that might in itself drive the value up?

The government is melting down all the cents for scrap, the problem is that they don't keep count of how many are melted, so collectors won't be able to know which dates are now rare.

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
"After the Mint ceases distribution in the fall of 2012, businesses will be asked to return pennies through their financial institutions to the Mint for melting and recycling of the metal content. The Government will work closely with financial institutions to coordinate this penny redemption program."

I too wonder what will happen to the values of Canadian cents, and how this might serve as a model for our government should they decide to go down a similar path.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread