What's new

Canning PEARS

Tesorodeoro

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2018
Messages
2,958
Reaction score
5,155
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I’ve never canned pears. My dad has a tree that is finally producing nice size fruit. They are a brown skinned pear that never soften on the tree. When he picks them and puts them in a paper bag, they turn brown in the middle. I think these are canning pears. Bartlet maybe?

Right now we are near our first freeze. They are hard crispy and sweet.

Any suggestions? I’d love to use my own honey I harvested instead of bleached sugar. Is this a thing?

Anybody want to spend the time spelling out what I need to do? The tree is loaded and I have A Lot of raw honey.
 
I've never tried canning pears (never had enough of them), and all the fruit I've ever canned has been in the form of jelly. But a quick search found this article which looks promising. Preserves using just pears, honey, and some spices. No sugar or pectin.
 
I've never tried canning pears (never had enough of them), and all the fruit I've ever canned has been in the form of jelly. But a quick search found this article which looks promising. Preserves using just pears, honey, and some spices. No sugar or pectin.
That’s the exact link I bookmarked earlier.
 
There's recipes for honey cinnamon pears.

For Bartlett pears I would peel them first(blanching them).
This person has the equivalent honey vs sugar ratios.
Check out this video from this search, canning bartlett pears with honey https://share.google/RVz6exLNybWYp9Gz4

Bartlett pears will ripen at room temperature 3-5 days. Pears ripen from the inside out.
Sometimes they will be rotten on the core.

Add a little vitamin C or lemon juice to retain the color.

We still have a few quarts from 2 years ago.

20251014_095250.webp


I prefer a natural sweetness over added when it comes to certain fruits. So I don't add much enhanced sweetness to the juice.
 
Canned pears are good.
Dried pear slices are good.
Dried pear leather is good.
 
If you were close I'd trade for your raw honey and can the pears for you.
 
I’ve only canned pears once but I had to keep them in the dark in a box because they turned brown. Many years later I made a cobbler out of them and they were still great. I never added sugar or anything to them when I canned them.
I’ve since only picked them and let them soften and cooked them immediately. The last time someone gave me a bunch of fresh pears they were kind of tart.
 
Thanks for the suggestions.
 
I do alot of canning cinnamon honey pears sound really good
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom