Cannon County

TnTom

Dec 27, 2013
Woodbury Tn
Detector(s) used
don't have one yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I joined the site a few weeks back not having a detector at that time but enjoyed reading of everyone's adventures and amazing discoveries. Since then I've managed to find a unit and have begun the learning curve. Its a White XLT and Ive found a user manual online. The more I use it the more sense some of the options are making.

My neighbor resides on 400 acres with numerous old fallen sharecropper cabins, ridge roads, hollows sheds barn yards. Its got the making of a great summer when he told me to feel free to check it all out. There is an old gold mine shaft and cabins foundations he said I should explore. In the next few days maybe next week end he wants to take the 2 seater and show me the old roads and sites. I'll hike it all this summer.

My property is old farmland, ridges and hollows and bottoms (copperheads and rattlers) and already the findings are farm related. Back in the day mules were common in the grain fields and it becomes more obvious the more of my acreage I explore. I have kicked up about a dozen horse/mule shoes over the years doing my garden, mowing, digging post holes and so forth it only stands to reason what I might to expect when I broke out the artillery. The little wire is a hay rake fork. first find of value.JPG 007.JPG Hay Fork.JPG

I once was chatting with the previous owner of the property before he passed away and he would tell me stories about his mules and pondered over the shoes I showed him that I had found and he could tell me which animal dropped the shoe by how it had worn, it was really fascinating listening to him reminisce. His son had moved him out of the hollow and to the home up on the ridge and took away his truck keys and he would come down on his riding lawn mover, about 6 miles and I'd secretly call his son and tell him where he is at. Its real easy to miss the old guy.

This neck of the woods is very busy with Civil War skirmishes, none that Im aware of right here in this hollow but a few miles from here is reported where some fighting took place. I had a couple of mappers stop by once and ask permission to go back up on the ridge and look for an old "lookout tower" I told them I had never seen anything like that but that didnt mean it doesnt exist. The new owner of the adjacent property said he thought he had an idea of where they were talking about and I should go check it out. Across the road from me is many acres Im free to roam mostly straight up heavily wooded as is most of this terrain but the ridge tops are old road mostly grown over so I plan to walk those this summer even winter here is very tolerable at the same time look for Ginseng and do some planting.

I really think this website has a lot to offer, there seems to be something for everyone and a lot of venues that seem to encourage trying something new. I've been collecting rocks and stamps for years and guess what, Stamp and Rock Collecting.

Snake shot is getting really hard to find does anyone know who is selling .357 mag snake shot? I ve made some but it doesnt pattern well even the capsules are almost impossible to find.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread