🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Cannonball Search for TN Classroom: Info Needed

JPetersen

Greenie
Apr 8, 2024
This is my second post here. I’m currently looking for a cannonball to show my students and help spur interest in history. The first “cannonball” I found is probably nothing more than a mill ball or who knows what. It’ll do the trick for now as it’s close enough. But there is another.

This cannonball is being sold on EBay (see pic). The description says that it is from the old Shields Museum that was dissolved in 1985. The cannonball is being described as a 3lb shot with nothing more. Any advice? Is this legit or another mill ball?

Attachments

• IMG_1939.png
    IMG_1939.png
    568.8 KB · Views: 35

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
JPetersen said:
> The cannonball is being described as a 3lb shot with nothing more.
> Any advice? Is this legit or another mill ball?

Speaking as co-author of the 552-page historical reference book "Field Artillery Projectiles of the American Civil War," I'll answer your question.

Just for the sake of discussion, let's say the Ebay Seller is telling the truth that he has correctly identified the ball as being a 3-Pound caliber Solid-Shot cannonball. Unfortunately for him, the Official records of both the US and CS armies at Gettysburg show that NO 3-Pounder cannonballs were present at the Gettysburg battle. The smallest cannonball (not Grapeshot ball) used there was the 6-Pounder caliber, which is 3.58-inches in diameter. Also, no 3-pound Grapeshot balls were used at Gettysburg. So, considering that the seller's claim that it is a Battle of Gettysburg relic is absolutely false, IMO the odds that this Ebay ball is just another Mill-ball are very high.

Back when I was an official Ebay Civil War Relics Authenticator, I frequently told people:
"If all the relics which were supposedly found at Gettysburg were brought back to the town and stacked in a pile, you couldn't see the town under the pile."

By any chance, is the Ebay seller named "RevWarCannonballs"?

Attachments

• book_FieldArtilleryProjectiles_1993-Edition_cover_ebay.jpg
    book_FieldArtilleryProjectiles_1993-Edition_cover_ebay.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Upvote 3
OP
OP
J

JPetersen

Greenie
Apr 8, 2024
JPetersen said:
> The cannonball is being described as a 3lb shot with nothing more.
> Any advice? Is this legit or another mill ball?

Speaking as co-author of the 552-page historical reference book "Field Artillery Projectiles of the American Civil War," I'll answer your question.

Just for the sake of discussion, let's say the Ebay Seller is telling the truth that he has correctly identified the ball as being a 3-Pound caliber Solid-Shot cannonball. Unfortunately for him, the Official records of both the US and CS armies at Gettysburg show that NO 3-Pounder cannonballs were present at the Gettysburg battle. The smallest cannonball (not Grapeshot ball) used there was the 6-Pounder caliber, which is 3.58-inches in diameter. Also, no 3-pound Grapeshot balls were used at Gettysburg. So, considering that the seller's claim that it is a Battle of Gettysburg relic is absolutely false, IMO the odds that this Ebay ball is just another Mill-ball are very high.

Back when I was an official Ebay Civil War Relics Authenticator, I frequently told people:
"If all the relics which were supposedly found at Gettysburg were brought back to the town and stacked in a pile, you couldn't see the town under the pile."

By any chance, is the Ebay seller named "RevWarCannonballs"?
I never imagined how many of these “mill balls” were sold as cannonballs. I’ve learned quite a bit over the past week! The one I just bought is likely one of these ore crushers. I suppose it’d be easy to file the seam (or not) and sell as authentic. Crazy. Shoes being faked, yes. Cannonballs, never knew. Luckily I didn’t pay much…Could be a good lesson in authenticating supposed relics, I figured.

I would like a genuine solid shot. For the sake of ease and assurance, would you recommend a site for purchasing an authentic cannonball? I know of International Military Antiques but nothing more.

And no, that isn’t the name of the EBay seller. Thanks for your information!

Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
JPetersen said:
> For the sake of ease and assurance, would you recommend a
> site for purchasing an authentic cannonball?

I don't think T-Net would mind me publicly giving a reference to a poster who asked who I view as a truly trustworthy dealer of real civil war artillery projectiles. :)

The site is bulletandshell.com. As the name indicates, they specialize in civil war artillery and firearms projectiles. It is operated by two of my closest friends in the "civil war artillery community"... I'll just call them Mike and Carl here. They are my friends because they've been steadfastly honest (and fair) with customers -- for several decades. If they had not, I would not have remained friends with them. Mike and Carl also established "the Civil War Projectiles (discussion & pics) Forum" as an adjunct to their sales site. Here's one small example of the trustworthiness of their cannonballs and other projectiles. Just like me, they use calipers to precisely measure the projectiles they sell, and they do the precise-weighing test I speak of so often in my posts. Also, after 30+ years in this field, they are very knowledgeable about the categories of relics they sell. They are as good at correctly identifying CW projectiles as I am. The site currently has a nice-looking actual 12-Pounder caliber Solid-Shot. It is an excavated specimen, which has been carefully de-encrusted. I myself prefer that a projectile show at least SOME corrosion effects from spending 150+ years buried but not beyond the reach of rain and soil-chemistry. We CW shell-collectors say "There is such as a thing as being TOO SMOOTH. No "dig location" is mentioned, which I think actually kinda-sorta indicates it is a genuine cannonball -- as your recent Ebay experiences might cause you to agree about.

Since you speak of learning more about "authenticating" cannonballs and not-cannonballs, here's another reference for you. I co-wrote a very detailed article (with helpful diagrams and photos) which tells how to determine with CERTAINTY whether a metal ball is an actual Historical Artillery ball, or not. (The main categories of Artillery balls are cannonballs, Grapeshot balls, and Canister-Ammo balls.)

Upvote 5
OP
OP
J

JPetersen

Greenie
Apr 8, 2024
JPetersen said:
> For the sake of ease and assurance, would you recommend a
> site for purchasing an authentic cannonball?

I don't think T-Net would mind me publicly giving a reference to a poster who asked who I view as a truly trustworthy dealer of real civil war artillery projectiles. :)

The site is bulletandshell.com. As the name indicates, they specialize in civil war artillery and firearms projectiles. It is operated by two of my closest friends in the "civil war artillery community"... I'll just call them Mike and Carl here. They are my friends because they've been steadfastly honest (and fair) with customers -- for several decades. If they had not, I would not have remained friends with them. Mike and Carl also established "the Civil War Projectiles (discussion & pics) Forum" as an adjunct to their sales site. Here's one small example of the trustworthiness of their cannonballs and other projectiles. Just like me, they use calipers to precisely measure the projectiles they sell, and they do the precise-weighing test I speak of so often in my posts. Also, after 30+ years in this field, they are very knowledgeable about the categories of relics they sell. They are as good at correctly identifying CW projectiles as I am. The site currently has a nice-looking actual 12-Pounder caliber Solid-Shot. It is an excavated specimen, which has been carefully de-encrusted. I myself prefer that a projectile show at least SOME corrosion effects from spending 150+ years buried but not beyond the reach of rain and soil-chemistry. We CW shell-collectors say "There is such as a thing as being TOO SMOOTH. No "dig location" is mentioned, which I think actually kinda-sorta indicates it is a genuine cannonball -- as your recent Ebay experiences might cause you to agree about.

Since you speak of learning more about "authenticating" cannonballs and not-cannonballs, here's another reference for you. I co-wrote a very detailed article (with helpful diagrams and photos) which tells how to determine with CERTAINTY whether a metal ball is an actual Historical Artillery ball, or not. (The main categories of Artillery balls are cannonballs, Grapeshot balls, and Canister-Ammo balls.)
Thank you so much for the detailed information and recommendation. I’ve sent a message to purchase the 12lb ball. That is exactly what I’m looking for and thankfully I can currently afford it!

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread