✅ SOLVED Can't identify this small tool

bobclouser

Oct 20, 2016
Lunenburg, MA
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. I found this detecting at a house in MA that was build in about 1740. I haven't found much else very old there. The pictures show the scale in inches. It's non-metallic and not very dense, so brass or bronze. It has a sharp hook on the end. I found things with similar shape online that were tools used to clean horse's hooves, but this is really small. You can barely get a finger into it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob
IMG_3258.JPG IMG_3250.JPG

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For anybody here who doesn't know what a "gag runner" is... it's a part of a wagon-horse's harness. It is a brass loop (therefore also called a gag loop, or gag swivel -- see a 1909 horse-harness catalog page, below) which connected the "bearing rein" to the horse's bridle. Follow the "bearing rein" (which is different from the main reins) in the diagram and photo, below.

Attachments

• horsegear_diagram_parts-of-wagonhorseharnes_TN_postedbyOldPueblo_Horse%20Tack.jpg
    horsegear_diagram_parts-of-wagonhorseharnes_TN_postedbyOldPueblo_Horse%20Tack.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 81
  • horsegear_gag-loop-harness_swivel_ON-HORSE_TN_postedbyGtoast.jpg
    horsegear_gag-loop-harness_swivel_ON-HORSE_TN_postedbyGtoast.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 215
  • horsegear_gag-loop-harness_swivels_1909-harness-supply-catalog_TN_postedbyTaz42o.jpg
    horsegear_gag-loop-harness_swivels_1909-harness-supply-catalog_TN_postedbyTaz42o.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bobclouser

Oct 20, 2016
Lunenburg, MA
Detector(s) used
White's TreasurePro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, awesom, thanks for the help iding! And what it is makes sense: the owner said I found it along what was an old cart path.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread