What's new

A shield nickel, a cool local token, a big silver and a bunch of other artifacts for a good week

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2018
Messages
2,057
Reaction score
12,107
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mountain Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I got back to start on the backyard of the latest permission. I heard from the neighbor that half of the backyard was detected a few years before these folks moved in but this part of the yard produced a lot of finds.

I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and only found 7 coins with a face value of $0.55, but lots of other stuff including, a deputy badge, a wheatie, a military collar disk, a mine chit, a plated spoon, a ring, a dog license, a fuse, 2 compacts (PRINCESS PAT), 2 strap adjustments, part of a harmonica reed, a gas valve, a lead figure, a lock, a chrome Y from a car, pieces of toy cars, some vintage jewelry, foil, wire, copper pipe, 3 tabs and assorted junky metal.

DSCN4840.webp


DSCN4843.webp

This part of the yard had lots of target, but very few coins. If this part was detected in the last they cherry picked the goodies, but left lots of interesting things behind for me. The LONE RANGER DEPUTY badge was a nice surprise. I watched that show as a kid. It still has the pin on the back, but is missing some of the stones on the front.

DSCN4840.webp


The collar disk is a world war 2 style. I’m not sure how long they were used, but this one has been in the ground a long time. The coal mine chit is a number 33. Mine chits are common in this coal mining town.

DSCN4841.webp


My favorite find on the day is the dog license. It has an extra hole drilled in it and unfortunately was scraped along the side with the date. The scrape is an old one and obscures the last number in the date. So a 192?.

DSCN4842.webp


The gas valve is part of an old gas light. Before electricity, city home used natural gas for lighting. The globe sat on an ornate brass valve assembly so the lights could be easily turned up or down in each room as needed. This one is a nice one.

DSCN4844.webp


DAY 2
I went back to the small park basketball court. It is in a small town where I did my first 3 years of teaching. There is not a lot of ground around the court and it has taken 2 trips so far and I have only covered half the ground because there are a lot of targets.

I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 97 coins with a face value of $5.79, a plated spoon, a shield nickel, a presidential token, a local token, a mine chit, a ring, a game tab, a key, an aluminum button, 2 pieces of toy vehicle, a Duck Dynasty watch face, a whistle, 2 heavy brass elbows, a little cab slaw, lots of aluminum bottle caps, some foil, 3 tabs and 1 pencil end.

DSCN4846.webp


I got lucky and found a shield nickel. When it popped out I couldn’t see any details at all. I gave it a good hard rub and I could see the 5 and the ring of stars and I knew what I had. The back looks pretty good, but the front side is pretty toasty. This is a rare find for me. It is only my fourth shield nickel in 24 years of detecting and I have found over 200,000 coins. Too bad the date is on the bad side. The presidential token is in marvelous shape. It is a WOODROW WILSON token.

DSCN8933.webp
DSCN4847.webp


The local token is one I haven’t seen before. It is aluminum and a little beat up, but not eaten by the acid soil which they usually are. It reads CAMPBELL & SON. DRUGGIST LONACONING MD, on the back GOOD FOR ONE 5 c SODA OR CIGAR. I worked in Lonaconing (another small town) as well in the 1970s and this establishment was no longer there. I’m not sure of the age, but my research suggests it could be as early as the late 1920s up until the 1940s. The mine chit is badly eaten by the acid soil. It must be poor quality brass.

DSCN4848.webp
DSCN4850.webp


I thought the ring was aluminum when it came out. I was sure it was a cheapie. It is a cheapie, but a better grade of cheapie. It is marked 18k H G E so 18 k heavy gold electroplate. Gold, but very little gold (almost none).

DSCN4851.webp


DAY 3
I went back to the backyard from DAY 1 to finish up. I’m know that part of the yard has been detected and I think this part was it. Not nearly as many finds as the past trip, but I did get one goodie.

I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 5 pennies, a pin, a rabies tag (1985), a watch back, a rouge compact, a thin brass whatzit, 3 different types of wire connectors, a gas valve, copper wire, bits of miscellaneous brass, foil, can slaw and only 2 tabs.

DSCN8934.webp


The pin was the star of the show. It was down about 8 inches and when I saw it in the hole I knew it was silver. It is complete including the pin and is marked sterling. Made of thick silver so it has some weight to it. Only the third silver form this yard.

DSCN8935.webp
DSCN8937.webp


The watch back is in poor shape, but it has lots of writing on it. It looks like the inner cover because of the winding hole. I can’t make out all the writing because of the bend, but it looks like ARNOLD ADAMS LIVERPOOL 15 JEWELL. I can’t find an exact match on line, but my guess is mid to late 1800s

DSCN8938.webp


The gas valve is a different type than the one I found last time. The end of this one hooks onto a hose that went to a heater or other appliance. These don’t come up as often as the gas light valves.

DSCN8934.webp


NON DETECTOR FINDS
I saw some nice butterflies on our evening walks, but the coinstars and coin returns have been empty lately.

IMG_1470.webp
IMG_1474.webp


Lots of interesting finds with some oldies and a big silver so a very good week. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
 
Upvote 20
The watch back is in poor shape, but it has lots of writing on it. It looks like the inner cover because of the winding hole. I can’t make out all the writing because of the bend, but it looks like ARNOLD ADAMS LIVERPOOL 15 JEWELL. I can’t find an exact match on line, but my guess is mid to late 1800s

View attachment 2261032

Some interesting finds there!

Although ‘Arnold Adams & Co’ is listed as a London (not Liverpool) watchmaker in Brian Loomes ‘Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World’ (first compiled in 1929 by G.H. Baillie as the standard reference source, still quoted today), the general consensus today is that this is a fictitious branding used by one or more Swiss makers. There is no relevant ‘Arnold Adams’ listed in any 19th century Trade Directory.

The 'Arnold Adams' branding may be accompanied by either the word ‘Liverpool’ or ‘London’, but the watches carrying it (some in gold, and some gold-plated) have clearly been made in Switzerland. The movement styles and other marks indicate they were produced between about 1860 and 1900, mainly for the American market, fraudulently using English origins to cash in on its reputation for watchmaking in the 19th century.

Some of them have other spurious markings such as ‘Marine Time Observer’, which are horologically meaningless, but intended to dupe customers into believing they were getting high quality timepieces.
 
DAY 1
I got back to start on the backyard of the latest permission. I heard from the neighbor that half of the backyard was detected a few years before these folks moved in but this part of the yard produced a lot of finds.

I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and only found 7 coins with a face value of $0.55, but lots of other stuff including, a deputy badge, a wheatie, a military collar disk, a mine chit, a plated spoon, a ring, a dog license, a fuse, 2 compacts (PRINCESS PAT), 2 strap adjustments, part of a harmonica reed, a gas valve, a lead figure, a lock, a chrome Y from a car, pieces of toy cars, some vintage jewelry, foil, wire, copper pipe, 3 tabs and assorted junky metal.

View attachment 2261018

View attachment 2261022
This part of the yard had lots of target, but very few coins. If this part was detected in the last they cherry picked the goodies, but left lots of interesting things behind for me. The LONE RANGER DEPUTY badge was a nice surprise. I watched that show as a kid. It still has the pin on the back, but is missing some of the stones on the front.

View attachment 2261019

The collar disk is a world war 2 style. I’m not sure how long they were used, but this one has been in the ground a long time. The coal mine chit is a number 33. Mine chits are common in this coal mining town.

View attachment 2261020

My favorite find on the day is the dog license. It has an extra hole drilled in it and unfortunately was scraped along the side with the date. The scrape is an old one and obscures the last number in the date. So a 192?.

View attachment 2261021

The gas valve is part of an old gas light. Before electricity, city home used natural gas for lighting. The globe sat on an ornate brass valve assembly so the lights could be easily turned up or down in each room as needed. This one is a nice one.

View attachment 2261023

DAY 2
I went back to the small park basketball court. It is in a small town where I did my first 3 years of teaching. There is not a lot of ground around the court and it has taken 2 trips so far and I have only covered half the ground because there are a lot of targets.

I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 97 coins with a face value of $5.79, a plated spoon, a shield nickel, a presidential token, a local token, a mine chit, a ring, a game tab, a key, an aluminum button, 2 pieces of toy vehicle, a Duck Dynasty watch face, a whistle, 2 heavy brass elbows, a little cab slaw, lots of aluminum bottle caps, some foil, 3 tabs and 1 pencil end.

View attachment 2261024

I got lucky and found a shield nickel. When it popped out I couldn’t see any details at all. I gave it a good hard rub and I could see the 5 and the ring of stars and I knew what I had. The back looks pretty good, but the front side is pretty toasty. This is a rare find for me. It is only my fourth shield nickel in 24 years of detecting and I have found over 200,000 coins. Too bad the date is on the bad side. The presidential token is in marvelous shape. It is a WOODROW WILSON token.

View attachment 2261029View attachment 2261025

The local token is one I haven’t seen before. It is aluminum and a little beat up, but not eaten by the acid soil which they usually are. It reads CAMPBELL & SON. DRUGGIST LONACONING MD, on the back GOOD FOR ONE 5 c SODA OR CIGAR. I worked in Lonaconing (another small town) as well in the 1970s and this establishment was no longer there. I’m not sure of the age, but my research suggests it could be as early as the late 1920s up until the 1940s. The mine chit is badly eaten by the acid soil. It must be poor quality brass.

View attachment 2261026View attachment 2261027

I thought the ring was aluminum when it came out. I was sure it was a cheapie. It is a cheapie, but a better grade of cheapie. It is marked 18k H G E so 18 k heavy gold electroplate. Gold, but very little gold (almost none).

View attachment 2261028

DAY 3
I went back to the backyard from DAY 1 to finish up. I’m know that part of the yard has been detected and I think this part was it. Not nearly as many finds as the past trip, but I did get one goodie.

I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 5 pennies, a pin, a rabies tag (1985), a watch back, a rouge compact, a thin brass whatzit, 3 different types of wire connectors, a gas valve, copper wire, bits of miscellaneous brass, foil, can slaw and only 2 tabs.

View attachment 2261030

The pin was the star of the show. It was down about 8 inches and when I saw it in the hole I knew it was silver. It is complete including the pin and is marked sterling. Made of thick silver so it has some weight to it. Only the third silver form this yard.

View attachment 2261017View attachment 2261033

The watch back is in poor shape, but it has lots of writing on it. It looks like the inner cover because of the winding hole. I can’t make out all the writing because of the bend, but it looks like ARNOLD ADAMS LIVERPOOL 15 JEWELL. I can’t find an exact match on line, but my guess is mid to late 1800s

View attachment 2261032

The gas valve is a different type than the one I found last time. The end of this one hooks onto a hose that went to a heater or other appliance. These don’t come up as often as the gas light valves.

View attachment 2261031

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I saw some nice butterflies on our evening walks, but the coinstars and coin returns have been empty lately.

View attachment 2261034View attachment 2261035

Lots of interesting finds with some oldies and a big silver so a very good week. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Great collection of finds. Finding a shield nickel is always a thrill. Congrats!
 
wow, the shield nickel and pin are amazing.
On another note may I ask what subject you taught?
Thanks for the nice reply. I taught third and fourth grade for most of my career. I was an assistant principal in 2 middle schools and ran the after school programs for the district before I retired. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.
 
DAY 1
I got back to start on the backyard of the latest permission. I heard from the neighbor that half of the backyard was detected a few years before these folks moved in but this part of the yard produced a lot of finds.

I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and only found 7 coins with a face value of $0.55, but lots of other stuff including, a deputy badge, a wheatie, a military collar disk, a mine chit, a plated spoon, a ring, a dog license, a fuse, 2 compacts (PRINCESS PAT), 2 strap adjustments, part of a harmonica reed, a gas valve, a lead figure, a lock, a chrome Y from a car, pieces of toy cars, some vintage jewelry, foil, wire, copper pipe, 3 tabs and assorted junky metal.

View attachment 2261018

View attachment 2261022
This part of the yard had lots of target, but very few coins. If this part was detected in the last they cherry picked the goodies, but left lots of interesting things behind for me. The LONE RANGER DEPUTY badge was a nice surprise. I watched that show as a kid. It still has the pin on the back, but is missing some of the stones on the front.

View attachment 2261019

The collar disk is a world war 2 style. I’m not sure how long they were used, but this one has been in the ground a long time. The coal mine chit is a number 33. Mine chits are common in this coal mining town.

View attachment 2261020

My favorite find on the day is the dog license. It has an extra hole drilled in it and unfortunately was scraped along the side with the date. The scrape is an old one and obscures the last number in the date. So a 192?.

View attachment 2261021

The gas valve is part of an old gas light. Before electricity, city home used natural gas for lighting. The globe sat on an ornate brass valve assembly so the lights could be easily turned up or down in each room as needed. This one is a nice one.

View attachment 2261023

DAY 2
I went back to the small park basketball court. It is in a small town where I did my first 3 years of teaching. There is not a lot of ground around the court and it has taken 2 trips so far and I have only covered half the ground because there are a lot of targets.

I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 97 coins with a face value of $5.79, a plated spoon, a shield nickel, a presidential token, a local token, a mine chit, a ring, a game tab, a key, an aluminum button, 2 pieces of toy vehicle, a Duck Dynasty watch face, a whistle, 2 heavy brass elbows, a little cab slaw, lots of aluminum bottle caps, some foil, 3 tabs and 1 pencil end.

View attachment 2261024

I got lucky and found a shield nickel. When it popped out I couldn’t see any details at all. I gave it a good hard rub and I could see the 5 and the ring of stars and I knew what I had. The back looks pretty good, but the front side is pretty toasty. This is a rare find for me. It is only my fourth shield nickel in 24 years of detecting and I have found over 200,000 coins. Too bad the date is on the bad side. The presidential token is in marvelous shape. It is a WOODROW WILSON token.

View attachment 2261029View attachment 2261025

The local token is one I haven’t seen before. It is aluminum and a little beat up, but not eaten by the acid soil which they usually are. It reads CAMPBELL & SON. DRUGGIST LONACONING MD, on the back GOOD FOR ONE 5 c SODA OR CIGAR. I worked in Lonaconing (another small town) as well in the 1970s and this establishment was no longer there. I’m not sure of the age, but my research suggests it could be as early as the late 1920s up until the 1940s. The mine chit is badly eaten by the acid soil. It must be poor quality brass.

View attachment 2261026View attachment 2261027

I thought the ring was aluminum when it came out. I was sure it was a cheapie. It is a cheapie, but a better grade of cheapie. It is marked 18k H G E so 18 k heavy gold electroplate. Gold, but very little gold (almost none).

View attachment 2261028

DAY 3
I went back to the backyard from DAY 1 to finish up. I’m know that part of the yard has been detected and I think this part was it. Not nearly as many finds as the past trip, but I did get one goodie.

I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 5 pennies, a pin, a rabies tag (1985), a watch back, a rouge compact, a thin brass whatzit, 3 different types of wire connectors, a gas valve, copper wire, bits of miscellaneous brass, foil, can slaw and only 2 tabs.

View attachment 2261030

The pin was the star of the show. It was down about 8 inches and when I saw it in the hole I knew it was silver. It is complete including the pin and is marked sterling. Made of thick silver so it has some weight to it. Only the third silver form this yard.

View attachment 2261017View attachment 2261033

The watch back is in poor shape, but it has lots of writing on it. It looks like the inner cover because of the winding hole. I can’t make out all the writing because of the bend, but it looks like ARNOLD ADAMS LIVERPOOL 15 JEWELL. I can’t find an exact match on line, but my guess is mid to late 1800s

View attachment 2261032

The gas valve is a different type than the one I found last time. The end of this one hooks onto a hose that went to a heater or other appliance. These don’t come up as often as the gas light valves.

View attachment 2261031

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I saw some nice butterflies on our evening walks, but the coinstars and coin returns have been empty lately.

View attachment 2261034View attachment 2261035

Lots of interesting finds with some oldies and a big silver so a very good week. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!
 
WoW! Just WoW! Super week, great finds - Congratulations! :headbang: :hello2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom