Cape Disappointment January 31, 2015

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I forgot to mention an almost forgotten mineral mining history from Long Beach.

There once was a company named Washington Mineral that mined, by dredge, off shore just N. of the Columbia river. They discovered a large black sand deposit full of valuable minerals that is still being debated as either boiling up from deep under the surface or as a side effect of being carried down the Columbia by erosion but limited to a relatively small area.

My late ex father in law was a welder/handyman for them and showed me pictures of some of the test and lab equipment.
Once they closed, he was the care taker for several years before it was abandoned. My ex wife told me stories of going to the lab and playing with the centrifuges. There were still samples of dry sand stored there and they would dump them into the hoppers and watch the machines work. Whirring and vibrating as they separated the different minerals by weight. One machine would put everything into separate test tubes, but her favorite was the one that put it into one tube, layered by weight.
She loved how the layers had different colors no matter how much you mixed the sample, it, always separated the same(How I wish I had one of those now!!!).

They were mostly iron oxides by weight but they were after the titanium, at the time the U.S.S.R. was our main supplier......and we were using it to build the SR71 to spy on them :laughing7: and cost far more than the value of gold to extract and process.

As a by product of this seperation, they also got gold, silver and platinum in much lesser and unprofitable amounts.....I think gold was only worth around $30, platinum $60 and silver $1-2 per oz. at the time. They closed in the early 70's due to environmental issues and protests from the fishermen about the damage to the crab industry.

I explored the old buildings on the south end of Stringtown road in the mid '80s and found some nasty stuff still laying around in the moldering, rotted buildings. Stuff such as bottles of potassium cyanide, several vials of different acids, bottles of mercury, and weird Frankenstein looking equipment rusting away.
The government came in a hauled it all away long ago, but if I only knew then what I know now I'd have a really cool gold separator setup.

Also on an unrelated note, here's a great source of info from the past.
Search Results « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Very interesting Mike. Thank's for posting this........:thumbsup:
Would like to see some pics of the old dredge they were using.

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mike......

I see there is a lot of placer history on the WA. coast. How far up the coast have you been in search of AU.
WA. Beach Placers.jpg

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Long Beach has been my only area. My wifes family lives in Astoria so when we go to visit, I try to sneak of for a bit of digging.
The farthest North you can dig is the South bank of Moclips River. The rest is all national park or native reservation.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
OK.... Thank's mike.
There is a beach called Ruby beach.... That one really got my attention but it looks like it is a no go ..... to bad, sounds like there might be a lot of garnet in the sands there which is also a good sign.

William

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anybody been getting to the beach?
Been pretty quiet here.

OP
OP
Jjhall68

Jjhall68

Jun 23, 2014
NW Washington
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector heavy weight, Gold Cube, Blue bowl, Garrett, 2" Keene dredge.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven't been there yet this year but I did run a bucket of this blacksand on a a shaker table. The results were very interesting, watching the material separate out by specific gravity. Bands of ilmenite, garnet, zircon, the hematite and magnetite stayed together. The gold that I recovered went all the way down to microscopic, it reflex light from a flash but I need 10x magnification to see it.
All the best,
John image.jpeg

OP
OP
Jjhall68

Jjhall68

Jun 23, 2014
NW Washington
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector heavy weight, Gold Cube, Blue bowl, Garrett, 2" Keene dredge.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven't been there yet this year but I did run a bucket of this blacksand on a a shaker table. The results were very interesting, watching the material separate out by specific gravity. Bands of ilmenite, garnet, zircon, the hematite and magnetite stayed together. The gold that I recovered went all the way down to microscopic, it reflex light from a flash but I need 10x magnification to see it.
All the best,
John View attachment 1269548

That's classic autocorrect "reflex" light... Kind of like reflects light only dumber.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Mike.....
Look what I found..........:laughing7:

1mike.png

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure what you drive but it looks like your area......
Anyway how are things going? are you getting out any?
I am going to try and get to some of our south beaches this weekend.
Take it easy.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not my truck but definitely the spot. Good luck this weekend.

I'm in Idaho right now, visiting family and managed to take 3 days for myself to explore and do a little panning.
Got a tiny bit of flour and that's good enough for me. People camping at every river and damp creek, quads everywhere and closed roads do to fires cut my areas down. I still checked out some very cool historic areas and took a lot of pictures that I'll start posting when I get home.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It's part of google earth.... There is a time slider that lets you go through the years that they have images for.

Mikes Place.png

The newest image for that area.... Not so good... Seems there was a bit of a cloud cover on that fly over.....lol

Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.37.02 PM.png

Looking forward to the pics from your trip... Drive safe coming home.....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

iscswaw

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2018
whidbey island, WA
Detector(s) used
garrett gold pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a quick picture of the gold we recovered last Saturday on the Washington coast. My wife and two of our daughters made the trip down and stayed in Astoria, Oregon on Friday then headed over to Cape Disappointment Saturday morning, as the tide started to drop. We dug about 30" down to find a black sand layer 6"-8" thick a quick test pan showed color. We ran pretty steady for the next 4 hours processing about 20 gallons of material through our gold cube. If that seems slow you have to try this material:thumbsup: by the way 60*F not a cloud in the sky, truly a day made for beach mining.

View attachment 1114869

All the best,
John

nice pan. i was down there last weekend. brought some sands home to test out the new multi-sluice on.

Oldrustystuff

Jul 26, 2018
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
Home made sluice running a 10" Dream Mat, Gold Cube, Blue Bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone had luck at the day use area south of the park where the jetty is?

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think almost any part of the beach south of the cape would show pretty good returns.
Though the area near the cape accessed by the camp grounds seems to be the most popular.

Oldrustystuff

Jul 26, 2018
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
Home made sluice running a 10" Dream Mat, Gold Cube, Blue Bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think almost any part of the beach south of the cape would show pretty good returns.
Though the area near the cape accessed by the camp grounds seems to be the most popular.

Yeah it seems like that from the videos I've seen but I didn't know if that was because that's where the best spots are or because people just camp there. I'm planning on going there for a few days. Hope to see some good color.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Let us know what you find.
One of these days I will make it up there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread