Silvermonkey
Gold Member
- Joined
- Apr 24, 2013
- Messages
- 5,617
- Reaction score
- 13,882
- Golden Thread
- 2
- Location
- Eastern Massachusetts
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 2
- Detector(s) used
- AT Pro, XP Deus
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
Earlier this summer I had the very good fortune to find a Capped Bust half dollar. For me, finding a " capped" anything was an absolute thrill. I never thought I would ever be able to experience that same rush of emotion...until it happened again yesterday. For the past three weekends I have been working a new site that has produced a great mix of old coins. Weekend #1: 1877 Seated dime, 1898 Barber dime, 1953 & 1954 Roosevelt dimes, 1901 Indian cent, and a no date large cent. Weekend #2: 1892-O & 1901 Barber dimes. I returned yesterday for my third hunt. The first hour was very slow going... a couple of wheats, and 29 cents in clad. Then I got a solid, repeatable tone on my AT-Pro which I think was in the high 70's. At the bottom of the plug was the smallest coin I have ever seen. Could it be a half dime? I honestly couldn't tell because I had forgotten my eye glasses in the car. So I put the coin in my "keeper" tin, and kept detecting for another hour. It wasn't until I got back to the car that I was able to see my discovery- 1834 Capped Bust half dime- What a beautiful coin! What a wonderful feeling!
Attachments
Upvote
64

I would guess you are in an area where the detecting craze did not take off back in the 70's or 80's. Most of the big silvers around here were scarfed up in the 70's. Looks like I need to take a trip to Eastern Mass..






