Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found my second capped half dollar of the year. I still am running on that adrenaline high. 1812 with the big 8 is a key date. I believe this is 1812 big 8 2 over 1 according to my book. In any case I sure was excited when she came up out of that 8 inch hole that was filled with water. Also got this other cool stuff and a toasted copper. Good luck to all. Art

Attachments

• DSC_0144.JPG
    DSC_0144.JPG
    385.4 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC_0143.JPG
    DSC_0143.JPG
    373.5 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC_0142.JPG
    DSC_0142.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC_0146.JPG
    DSC_0146.JPG
    345.4 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC_0145.JPG
    DSC_0145.JPG
    360.4 KB · Views: 217
Upvote 47
That is an incredible early American silver

Well I was suspect as to the condition of this coin and perhaps I am skeptical... but then I noticed the damage on the edge and it certainly looks like it was dinged during recovery..... Nomination for banner.

Incredible trapperart :thumbsup: That's two great looking bust halves man. I know that high, I dug an 1824 last April (its in a post on here)... It was my first (and only) half and my first (and only) bust silver. Mine was really tarnished, so the first 5 seconds it was out of the dirt I thought it was an aluminum slug and then I saw the eagle on the back, and for the next 5 days I was floating on air. haha To make it even better it was in a spill with a 2 reale and a 1 reale... so I kept getting good tones in the dirt and seeing silvers come out. I honestly don't think there is a better feeling than experiencing that. Enjoy that feeling man and get back out there. Sounds like an awesome site.

That's just beyond amazing... :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
Congrats on an excellent find of epic proportions! :occasion14:

Incredible trapperart :thumbsup: That's two great looking bust halves man. I know that high, I dug an 1824 last April (its in a post on here)... It was my first (and only) half and my first (and only) bust silver. Mine was really tarnished, so the first 5 seconds it was out of the dirt I thought it was an aluminum slug and then I saw the eagle on the back, and for the next 5 days I was floating on air. haha To make it even better it was in a spill with a 2 reale and a 1 reale... so I kept getting good tones in the dirt and seeing silvers come out. I honestly don't think there is a better feeling than experiencing that. Enjoy that feeling man and get back out there. Sounds like an awesome site.

At my age I'm not sure I could live though that many old silvers in one hole.

Absolutely beautiful coins! Congrats on both!!! :-D

Well I was suspect as to the condition of this coin and perhaps I am skeptical... but then I noticed the damage on the edge and it certainly looks like it was dinged during recovery..... Nomination for banner.
I thank you for your comment on the post. I hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way, but the first part about being skeptical bothered me a little. It is a shame we are all judged by the actions of a few. What never gets posted is all this scrap that is dug by the hundreds of pounds and the countless hours of gridding some of these big fields. To say nothing of the luck of being able to hunt a site that is only hundreds of yards from where the British burned Frenchtown in the war of 1812. Again thanks for the comments and thanks for reading the thoughts of this oldman.

Attachments

• DSC_0147.JPG
    DSC_0147.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

So a good coin needs to be damaged during recovery to seem credible to the peanut gallery now? That's ridiculous.

Simply amazing coin! You can never get tired of digging old big silver

trapperart, I was not on yesterday, I voted banner for your beautiful coin. I read every post and cannot believe a beautiful coin like this has not received a banner vote from all?
I'm sure it is banner in your heart, I know if I were to find a Capped anything it would be banner in my heart. I have only been doing this hobby and already have been blessed to have hunted some very historical sites and know that it's all about the "research"/ "site" Awesome finds come from old highly populated sites, the more traffic the better chance of something being lost. I for one favor early american silver closer to our countries beginnings than a civil war plate (not saying it's not banner worthy). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and your Half is beautiful!

Amazing silver, congrats

I've been detecting for 35 years and although I've found my share of Spanish half, one and two reales, I've never found any US Bust silver. I am so %^$% jealous. Great find is an understatement. Finds like this keep us all out swinging our detectors waiting for the next good signal. Way to go. Banner all the way.

Nice coins. Im just south of you. Didnt the British land near Frenchtown during the Revolutionary War as well on there way to Philadelphia. Thats gotta be the best place near me to detect

Welcome to the 1812 half finders club!

Ain't the beer cold!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back