Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found my second capped half dollar of the year. I still am running on that adrenaline high. 1812 with the big 8 is a key date. I believe this is 1812 big 8 2 over 1 according to my book. In any case I sure was excited when she came up out of that 8 inch hole that was filled with water. Also got this other cool stuff and a toasted copper. Good luck to all. Art

Attachments

• DSC_0144.JPG
    DSC_0144.JPG
    385.4 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC_0143.JPG
    DSC_0143.JPG
    373.5 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC_0142.JPG
    DSC_0142.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC_0146.JPG
    DSC_0146.JPG
    345.4 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC_0145.JPG
    DSC_0145.JPG
    360.4 KB · Views: 217
Upvote 47

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thank you for your comment on the post. I hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way, but the first part about being skeptical bothered me a little. It is a shame we are all judged by the actions of a few. What never gets posted is all this scrap that is dug by the hundreds of pounds and the countless hours of gridding some of these big fields. To say nothing of the luck of being able to hunt a site that is only hundreds of yards from where the British burned Frenchtown in the war of 1812. Again thanks for the comments and thanks for reading the thoughts of this oldman.
Art I need to chime in here because I think it's important that we all talk about this. As most of you know I considered Vino a friend on here. Let me be clear....I've never actually met the guy. But this situation has affected a ton of people. I had the funniest hunt of my life yesterday. Dug a ton of early coins from a site with a family connection. I was riding high until I thought about posting. Are people going to question my finds? Am I just going to get lumped in with him? After talking with a couple of people that I really respect in here it all was clear. I am posting because I'm proud of my finds and want to share them. I love seeing all of your finds and hope you all continue to share with me. If people can't tell that these dirty old coppers of mine came from the ground and want to judge....so be it. The people that truly are knowledgeable will know they're legit. I have always posted the dirty pics of my finds at the beginning of my posts. I've always encouraged others to do the same. I just feel like it adds legitimacy to my posts. Looking back it's pretty obvious when something hasn't been in the dirt long. So please keep sharing with me and I will keep sharing with you. I love this forum and it will continue to be great. I put in so much time and effort to do this. I will never stop doing something I love

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Art I need to chime in here because I think it's important that we all talk about this. As most of you know I considered Vino a friend on here. Let me be clear....I've never actually met the guy. But this situation has affected a ton of people. I had the funniest hunt of my life yesterday. Dug a ton of early coins from a site with a family connection. I was riding high until I thought about posting. Are people going to question my finds? Am I just going to get lumped in with him? After talking with a couple of people that I really respect in here it all was clear. I am posting because I'm proud of my finds and want to share them. I love seeing all of your finds and hope you all continue to share with me. If people can't tell that these dirty old coppers of mine came from the ground and want to judge....so be it. The people that truly are knowledgeable will know they're legit. I have always posted the dirty pics of my finds at the beginning of my posts. I've always encouraged others to do the same. I just feel like it adds legitimacy to my posts. Looking back it's pretty obvious when something hasn't been in the dirt long. So please keep sharing with me and I will keep sharing with you. I love this forum and it will continue to be great. I put in so much time and effort to do this. I will never stop doing something I love

Regardless - sticky: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/63507-real-fake.html

mikeinOC1

Jul 3, 2006
Orange County CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Minelab Excalibur, Fisher CZ21
Wow you east coasters really get some great chances and sites for finding some great old stuff. Really envious of you all ( as well some of our pals in Northern Cal who do so well). I have only been lucky to find only a couple silver half over the years down here in SO Cal that were from the 1940's and one Franklin.

So I am curous are you going to get the 1812 checked out by a professional grading service ? Both sure look pretty clean. What did you use to clean them if you don't mind telling ? Even as dug I bet the 1812 if sold would cover the cost of a new detecor or two.

Oh I vote for banner too.

To Jeff: Just read your piece about how banner works. A single vote like these is not considered "campaigning" are they ?

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin Art! Man I would love to dig one of those!

OP
OP
trapperart

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow you east coasters really get some great chances and sites for finding some great old stuff. Really envious of you all ( as well some of our pals in Northern Cal who do so well). I have only been lucky to find only a couple silver half over the years down here in SO Cal that were from the 1940's and one Franklin.

So I am curous are you going to get the 1812 checked out by a professional grading service ? Both sure look pretty clean. What did you use to clean them if you don't mind telling ? Even as dug I bet the 1812 if sold would cover the cost of a new detecor or two.

Oh I vote for banner too.

To Jeff: Just read your piece about how banner works. A single vote like these is not considered "campaigning" are they ?
Yes I am going to get the coin checked and my wife washes the black of the silver with baking soda

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You know, the thought of anyone questioning my posted finds has never even crossed my mind; ever.

I can't even imagine going through the trouble of creating fake finds to get some kind of pathetic ego boost from people I don't even really know on a message board that's visited by a very small demographic of people who dig in the dirt for treasure. In my area, this is most definitely not a popular hobby. I have yet to encounter a fellow detectorist actually hunting in my travels.

But now I'm wondering a little. All I can say is that if anyone ever has even an inkling that any of my finds are fake, I would ask them to please confront me directly or just stay quiet about it.

I have found 4 class rings from one location; three 10K and one valadium from Walmart. That was over more than 18 months and at least fifty hunts at one location. It may seem like the odds against that happening are extremely high. Then again, this location has been used for playing sports for over 75 years. When you step back and look at the big picture it's not as unlikely as it may seem. Plus, it's an absolute FACT that true persistence WILL pay off in a good location as long as you're willing to not get discouraged and press on no matter what.

Plus, I've probably filled a trash can to the brim with trash two times from that single location (well, maybe not that much but you know what I mean). I'm not finished yet either. The site still has more than a few hunts left.

Also, if I (or pretty much anyone here) were to post the boatloads of utter trash that we have dug on our many hunts, what would even be the point?? I don't come on here to look at can slaw. I come to see amazing finds like the two beautiful coins posted in this thread. It inspires me to get out there and find my own treasures.

The finds that I do choose to photograph and post are usually the best of the best. Early on I posted everything, including clad and trash but back then I found it exciting to dig up anything because I was so new to this hobby. That no longer applies now that I know what I'm doing (at least, I think I do).

So it may look like I'm incredibly lucky sometimes but a real fellow treasure hunter understands the thousands of holes that are dug only to reveal more clad, those damnable Zincoln's, trash, can slaw and other junk that will never be seen here. Hell, I wouldn't waste the time taking the pictures.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
trapperart, I was not on yesterday, I voted banner for your beautiful coin. I read every post and cannot believe a beautiful coin like this has not received a banner vote from all?
I'm sure it is banner in your heart, I know if I were to find a Capped anything it would be banner in my heart. I have only been doing this hobby and already have been blessed to have hunted some very historical sites and know that it's all about the "research"/ "site" Awesome finds come from old highly populated sites, the more traffic the better chance of something being lost. I for one favor early american silver closer to our countries beginnings than a civil war plate (not saying it's not banner worthy). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and your Half is beautiful!

I agree 100%.
I've dug one capped Liberty LC last year and to this day I consider it one of my greatest finds. It's a 179?. That's all I know. I can't even read the entire date but to me, it's definitely a banner find despite it's condition. I think I can safely say that this would apply to anyone who digs a coin that old and historic regardless of condition.
I still can't believe I found even one.

Last edited:

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on getting not only a great early large silver but 2 no less!!

Banner vote!

Keep us updated on what the outcome is when you get the 1812 looked at by the experts!

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Me? The link I posted was to the sticky thread about not openly accusing somebody on the forum of faking a find....

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Yes I am going to get the coin checked and my wife washes the black of the silver with baking soda

Well that explains the bright polished finish....:) Most guys would not clean their coins outside of washing the dirt off of them. Now this is a touchy subject. The black oxide would be considered environmental damage when graded. Cleaning it off removes some of the detail and both of those coins may have had some mint luster. There are solutions that would only attack the black oxide leaving the coin relatively untouched. In coins of this rarity it could mean the difference of 75% in value. I would have cleaned them and let the natural toning take over again, just like you have done. I have had many that got the lemon juice bath between aluminum foil. It knocks the black off them without taking down the solid high spots.

You are in a spectacular spot and I hope to see more from you.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is the biggest thing people don't understand about George's sites, just like yours yesterday, they are many virgin sites. A person finds much more at virgin sites.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to confirm, is the OP saying these coins have been cleaned with the baking soda method?

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know from what I have read trust is lost and doubts formed now because of one. That is very unfortunate. Everyone deserves to be believed. If you find indisputable proof because of your doubts, contact a mod. Let them be the judge. To cast doubt in an open forum is not the way to make friends and influence people. I have seen bogus finds come and go. We probably all have. Why people feel they have to prove something is beyond me. Anyway, he made two extremely wonderful and rare finds. All this poster deserves is a HUGE congratulations and a lot ov envy from us.

We are all looking for a spectacular find. I have three. You put in the time and the research and you also will have your fame.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm not sure what you mean, my wife did clean these with baking soda

That is too bad. No coins should be subject to that method when they are valuable or that old. But if you enjoy them and you are not selling them, completely your choice.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simply amazing coin trapperart. It'd be enough to find one in a lifetime, let alone two. My vote is in. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread