What's new

Carnival games/scams

Then there was that circus owners phrase,'There's a sucker born every minute". After the first pitch of the ring, dart or ball we realize that we've been had.

The sign in a fun house said, go through this door to see the great egress. Egress, a French word for exit. They were praying for the fact that most people did not speak or read french back in those days.
 
Seamuss said:
Then there was that circus owners phrase,'There's a sucker born every minute". After the first pitch of the ring, dart or ball we realize that we've been had.

The sign in a fun house said, go through this door to see the great egress. Egress, a French word for exit. They were praying for the fact that most people did not speak or read french back in those days.

That would be P. T. Barnum.

Scott
 
I liked the radar/softball throw. You threw twice, and then guessed the speed of your third throw. The way to win was to throw slow and underhanded, under 40mph. Most guys tried to burn it in there. I did see Mike Moore throw a softball at 96mph. I first came upon an archery booth in 1973. 10 arrows for a dollar and a bullseye wins a stuffed prize. They had some low power recurve bows to use, nothing over about 30lbs. and you shot at 25 ft. The trick was to get there early as they started the night with brand new arrows, the wooden kind. No carneys, just a yearly local fair put on by locals. I cleaned them out and was told I couldn't shoot there anymore. I cut a deal with them though; they let me shoot for free so folks would see how easy it was to hit a bullseye (it wasn't for them) and I wouldn't take any more stuffed animals. I liked that much better, and they even allowed me to bring down my Ben Pierson 45# recurve and use it. That was fun for a few years, but they finally did away with the archery stand.
 
I can beat the Throwing a softball into a milk jug about 4 out of 5 times. The key is to throw slow and underhand with backspin. You also have to hit the lip of the milk jug closest to you. Do it right, and the ball slips in most times.

I spent a bunch of money getting that one right. They have that at Six Flags/Magic Mountain in SoCal.

Best-Mike
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom