Carving and points

mystariea

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2012
Nothern Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had this on the "Todays finds" forum and was advised to bring it over here for information, especially with the carving.
Yesterday while at the Kings River in Carroll County, Arkansas I spotted this rock with a carving on it. Initially we thought it looked like a scorpion but after looking closer it appears to be some type of animal.
I also spotted this larger point while walking along and looking at rocks on the shore. . As you can imagine I was pretty excited as these are my first finds!
I went back today and found what may or may not be a smaller point. I really don't know if it is something or not?
I am new to Arkansas and all of the rich history here. I really would like to know more about any or all of these objects.
I have found that there were many different Tribes that lived in the area so I don't even know where to start!
Thanks for any help or advice.

Attachments

• rock carving small.jpg
    rock carving small.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 457
  • spearhead1sm.jpg
    spearhead1sm.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 479
  • spearheadccsm.jpg
    spearheadccsm.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 497
  • smallpointsm.jpg
    smallpointsm.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 512
  • spearheadccsm.jpg
    spearheadccsm.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 496
  • pointsizesm.jpg
    pointsizesm.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 492
  • spearhead2sm.jpg
    spearhead2sm.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 487
  • spearhead1sm.jpg
    spearhead1sm.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 478
  • carvingsizesm.jpg
    carvingsizesm.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 438
  • rock carving small.jpg
    rock carving small.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 437
Upvote 0

Swims with Beaver

May 19, 2010
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
" 4 Eyes "
If your stone was turned 90 degrees clockwise it looks like an insect of some sort to me. Great finds especially for being your first. A petroglyph and an arrowhead. Awesome. :headbang:

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
hello Myst!! and welcome to Tnet and the AIA forum, from Tmodel!! on the eastern highland rim of Tennessee. when i first saw your big point i called it a morrow mountain then i saw it was found in Ar. i ID. from projectile point .net most of the time and it did not show M.M. as being found in Ar. in second hunt your small point i think is eather a madison triangle or a broken tip need to see short side in photo edge on to camera to tell which. i agree with S.W.B. your petroglyphis a insect, i think it is an ant looks like 6 legs and a pincher type mouth like a warror ant. i would be looking that river over good because i think it only a small piece of a bigger stone tablet, look at the other engraved marks that have nothing to do with your ant in the petroglyph.. Terry

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Glad to see u posted it here! I promise u will get lots of help over here. I agree with T that its just a small part of a bigger piece, the carved piece.

OP
OP
M

mystariea

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2012
Nothern Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tmodel said:
hello Myst!! and welcome to Tnet and the AIA forum, from Tmodel!! on the eastern highland rim of Tennessee. when i first saw your big point i called it a morrow mountain then i saw it was found in Ar. i ID. from projectile point .net most of the time and it did not show M.M. as being found in Ar. in second hunt your small point i think is eather a madison triangle or a broken tip need to see short side in photo edge on to camera to tell which. i agree with S.W.B. your petroglyphis a insect, i think it is an ant looks like 6 legs and a pincher type mouth like a warror ant. i would be looking that river over good because i think it only a small piece of a bigger stone tablet, look at the other engraved marks that have nothing to do with your ant in the petroglyph.. Terry
Hello and thank you!
I took a picture of the small end of the point for you. The picture is also of the underside of the point. I agree it could be a broken tip, however if it is a broken tip, it was broken long ago. The end is smooth as if it spent some time in the river already broken. Thank you for telling me about projectile point. net. I will look around the site!
As for the carving. I agree it is broken off from more. My friend thought she saw another piece however she didn't think anything of it until I saw this one. By then she couldn't find it again. These were found on a very rocky shore of the Kings River.
As for it being an insect. We thought maybe that at first, however if you look at the visible legs they attach to the body. The other side of the body where it is broken off does not have any leg pieces attached to the body. That is what made us think maybe it wasn't an insect. We could very well be wrong though.
Input??
I do want to go back again. I only wish I knew more about the Native people that lived here and what to look for. I'm sure I walked over and past many items that would have been very interesting finds had I known what they were!!

Thanks again
-Christina

Attachments

• smallpointendsm.jpg
    smallpointendsm.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 489

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
sorry but new photo says broken tip all three edges should look a like with a cutting edge to be a madison. look at all points listed for Ar. in projectile points .net it will show you most of what you are likely to find. also go back on A.I.A. forum and check out any post that says my collection, frame, finds for 2011, axes, celts these are KEY words can be used with a lot of other words. axes and celts may be flaked or they may be maid out of hardstone and be smoove with no work marks on them especially celts. you have got the right idea about the flaked pieces. if you have a micro setting on your camera that would be good to use to take photos for posting, would show flaking scars better to help I.D. your points. i am on most everyday weather i post or respond or not. will try to answer all ?????'s if some body who knows more then i do not beet me, there are a lot of them. please put your state in your profile. Terry

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
check out the post my new artifact display by Trevmma!! it has alot of artifacts that projectile points ,net will not have. axes, celts and many other things.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I'm not so sure that the "carved rock" isn't completely natural. The lines on it don't appear to be cut in at all, they look eroded out. The stemmed point is either a heavily exhausted Dunn, or Burkett. The triangular piece is looks like a busted dorsal flake, knapping debitage.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neanderthal said:
I'm not so sure that the "carved rock" isn't completely natural. The lines on it don't appear to be cut in at all, they look eroded out. The stemmed point is either a heavily exhausted Dunn, or Burkett. The triangular piece is looks like a busted dorsal flake, knapping debitage.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread