What's new

Cast Iron Flower Pattern

waterfalljay

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
361
Reaction score
43
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Safari, Explorer SE Pro, & Excallibur II
I was hunting a friend's property and located the remains of an old foundation and bit of chimney. I dug this piece of cast iron at about 6". It is approximately 5"x 5" square with a flower (possibly dogwood) pattern. Two edges are plain, while the other two have an extra flange like it would slide into/onto something. There are no hinges of any sort and the back is plain. Any ideas what this is? Stove plate? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! - Jay
 

Attachments

  • stoveplate.webp
    stoveplate.webp
    65.6 KB · Views: 289
  • stoveplate-closeup.webp
    stoveplate-closeup.webp
    58.6 KB · Views: 287
Wow, 90 views and no guesses. Have I "stumped the band"? ;D
 
Upvote 0
on old stoves and some fire places they had a door that would lift up
to take out the ashes and they would not wait open as it could cause a fire so they made it
lift up type so one would open it when it was cooled off and take out the ashes.
my uncle had one that was made that way. it was safer that the swing open ones as
you would not open it while real hot.I am guess that is what you have there .
 
Upvote 0
Maybe a ash door..
 
Upvote 0
Yep, looks like an ash door to me, and since the Dogwood is our state tree, it very well maybe that pattern. Neat find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone! Since we have a consensus here, I'm going to mark this one solved. I appreciate the help!
-Jay :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom