Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I headed out to a swim/fishery lake hoping it was drained. When I arrived, it was not drained and campers and the little restaurant there was in full swing so I thought I would poke around the playground when the caretaker came out. He told me I couldn’t dig here, so after a little arguing he said “please” don’t dig here, so I left. Plan B was to head to the castle, my Archaeology friend told me they had spread even more dirt away from the castle ruins last week. Here’s a picture from several weeks ago, a lot of dirt has been spread out. I found two cross bow bolt tips and part of a cannon ball that trip however, on this trip I found a silver coin, lead spindle whorl, five musket balls and another piece of the cannon ball and several square nails.
Castle.jpg
Here’s the silver coin, has already been IDed as a 2 pfennig from Baden-Durlach, Friedrich VII. Magnus 1677-1709, 15mm in diameter. Obverse.
21Oct12SilO.jpg
Reverse. HH, Mike
21Oct12SilR.jpg

Upvote 16
The castle was active from 1108 AD to 1750 AD when it was hit by lightning and burned down for the last time. They moved the town down hill in 1750, dismantled the castle to its foundations for its building material, sifted through the burned buildings and took all the building material they could to relocate. I know of three battles fought here, 1200's, 1600's, early 1700s and suspect a fourth battle around the 1400's. HH, Mike

Thank you for the info! So it's a battle-period castle silver! I wonder if someone lost it on the run/fighting? HUGE Congrats! :icon_thumright:

Mike,
Where have you been? Nothing bad has happened I hope. You seem to have dropped off the map. I really enjoyed your TreasureNet posts.
Phil

Wow, ???

That's just not "some" silver. :icon_scratch: That's really an outstanding find, an old silver coin with some possible "castle" provenance ! :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Nice coin, maybe there might be another.

I would love to see the other finds, especially the bolt tips. Very nice coin, I dream of finding something like that.

I'm still detecting, just not as much as I would like due to life's responsibilities! Found a few cross bow bolt tips recently and a nice coin weight however, not much time to post.
I believe the coin weight is a Hungarian Ducat from the late 1500s, the Archies at the Jamestown Virginia dig just found one as well, that's how I IDed it, LOL. HH, Mike

more pics please... pretty please....pretty please with sugar on top.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back