Thanks for the links and photos, Breezie and Charlie P.
The item from Worthpoint is identical in design, but the stamp that it was made in Italy is not present on mine. Even under high magnification, I cannot seen where it could have even been present.
The casting and relief detail is much more detailed on the "silver" version. My ring has been worn smooth mainly on the very front, most likely due to the inferior metal that was used. This also seems to indicate someone who had it may have constantly rubbed it, perhaps by nervous habit or even a devotional habit, as many sacramentals are often kissed or touched a great deal, to express devotion. There are no scratches present on the front images.
These items were often mass produced and given away, hence the metals were not expensive ones. The wearing of this item produced a slight "greening" of my skin, but seems to have stopped now. It had been noted that it was dipped in something that gave it a shiny, copper coat. The color now in the places where I have touched it (in the short time I have worn it) is now a silver color. I am no expert in metals or jewlery enhancing techniques.
Many items like this (especially medals) are often made in Italy, but to actually know where they were cast is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Many vintage molds are still used and this can be seen by the style of the relief and other small details.
To speculate is always a mistake, but a picture is truly worth a thousand words. Actual physical inspection may say even more. I always try to notice the small things, which tells us a great deal.
I ordered my ring from a site called Etsy.com.
http://www.etsy.com/?ref=so_home
Some merchants there offer many vintage Catholic sacramentals, but very little history of where they came from. One merchant had an identical item offered, but it sold and then I seen the one I have now, but from a different merchant. I shall try to track down the first listing to see some photos and do comparisons.
Thanks for all the help so far.