Dug this specimen few years back at NC location with other CW relics. Have seen lead boot heel plates before, but this one appear to be a higher quality item. Appear to be genuine. Any thoughts?
It is very small for a heel plate except maybe for high heel cowboy boots and I don't think any civil war soldiers had cowboy boots. Heck, the south didn't even have shoes much of the time! A ladies heel plate? Monty
Monty, the company and the comments are much appreciated
Several years ago there was an article in Western & Eastern Treasures about CS bootheel plates. It's one of my favorite relic stories that can be backed up. Most of us in this hobby probably have a tendency to make our finds better with imagination (especially if we're not sure what it is). That's why I really like this forum.
The CS cavalry soldiers once off their horses would leave imprints in the dirt/mud with the boot heel plate (this one is with heart design, which is the most common (Star & Clover designs were also used)). Later when other Southern troops came by they could see from the markings whether they were dealing with friends or foe.
Maybe someone can guide us to a link or elaborate on the story.
I don't remember the article but I have read many posts here on the forum about boot heel plates. That's where I got my very limited knowledge. If you are a charter member , go to search and look for boot heel plates and you should find several posts. If not a charter member, you should be. You could then find out all our secret rites and ceremonies. M nty