What's new

Cave Hunting?

renegade_7

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
977
Reaction score
87
Golden Thread
0
Location
Missouri
Anyone have any luck searching in caves? I have not, but only hunted a few. Most are on private property and sometimes difficult to gain access. I always thought that somewhere in the 1800s someone must've lost something.
 
Anyone have any luck searching in caves? I have not, but only hunted a few. Most are on private property and sometimes difficult to gain access. I always thought that somewhere in the 1800s someone must've lost something.
Please be careful when you do. Many years ago I did search one in the mountains in Montana . Found nothing Had to do a lot of crawling. I was not as smart as i am now LOL
 
Been into two caves, not going very far, what I did lean, and renegade7 this is NO joke. Have more than one light source. If you should drop or break whatever light source you do have, you are ------ my friend, you cannot see your own hand and can be completely disoriented.
 
ALWAYS have a plan.
ALWAYS get some training.
ALWAYS go with someone else.
ALWAYS stop before you get stuck.
ALWAYS take along an experienced spelunker.

Dozens if not hundreds of caves explored.
All with permission.
Some that humans had not been in before.

Never found any metallic treasures.
Lots of cool formations.
Some impossible looking things.
Narrow arched bridge made of flint.
Found a full mountain lion skeleton.

Missouri is notorious for dangerous caves.
Get some spelunking and ropes training.
Caution....
 
A friend of mine is on the Taney Co cave rescue squad near Branson MO. He took me down a cave. I think it was called doghouse cave. I’m 6’2” and found out real quick caving is not for me! Claustrophobia hits you fast and I didn’t trust those limestone boulders hanging from the ceiling. Nope!
 
Been into two caves, not going very far, what I did lean, and renegade7 this is NO joke. Have more than one light source. If you should drop or break whatever light source you do have, you are ------ my friend, you cannot see your own hand and can be completely disoriented.
Thanks for the reminder. Used to go caving as a kid. Always had 3 flashlights each, and a big roll of strong twine. Tie off the twine near the opening so we could find the way back if the cave had multiple tunnels. In the cave, they all look the same. But I appreciate the warning. I never went in deep when hunting them. Figured anything to find would be near to the opening.
 
A friend of mine is on the Taney Co cave rescue squad near Branson MO. He took me down a cave. I think it was called doghouse cave. I’m 6’2” and found out real quick caving is not for me! Claustrophobia hits you fast and I didn’t trust those limestone boulders hanging from the ceiling. Nope!
Two hours from Branson. Been to Taney county several times. I like the caves, but I don't like the crawling.
 
ALWAYS have a plan.
ALWAYS get some training.
ALWAYS go with someone else.
ALWAYS stop before you get stuck.
ALWAYS take along an experienced spelunker.

Dozens if not hundreds of caves explored.
All with permission.
Some that humans had not been in before.

Never found any metallic treasures.
Lots of cool formations.
Some impossible looking things.
Narrow arched bridge made of flint.
Found a full mountain lion skeleton.

Missouri is notorious for dangerous caves.
Get some spelunking and ropes training.
Caution....
Never found any metallic treasures.
Lots of cool formations.
Some impossible looking things.
Narrow arched bridge made of flint.

Same here. And yes, lots of dangerous ones in Missouri. Always figured kids or young adults of the past were also there and must've lost something metallic.
 
Thanks for the reminder. Used to go caving as a kid. Always had 3 flashlights each, and a big roll of strong twine. Tie off the twine near the opening so we could find the way back if the cave had multiple tunnels. In the cave, they all look the same. But I appreciate the warning. I never went in deep when hunting them. Figured anything to find would be near to the opening.
Well then, your good to go. You were a lot smarter then me.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom