What's new

Ceratopsian frill section

Ninjafossils

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2012
Messages
679
Reaction score
345
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
To start off my postings of my collection of dinosaur fossils, here is a nice section of ceratopsian frill found in the hell creek of South Dakota. Probably belonged to a young triceratops.

image-284365333.webp



image-2787051821.webp


Notice the large lines in the bone. That is where large blood vessels would have been to supply blood to the keratin covering the frill
image-1931687660.webp


image-2501816300.webp
 
Thats is a COOL Find! :icon_thumleft: Was the rest of the gone?
 
the deposit where it was found was an ancient river channel. The pieces break up and flow miles apart from each other, if they even survive.
 
That's a very nice find! I love the Hell Creek formation and plan on being up there this spring.

Was it found in matrix or free?
 
it was found in a sandstone that had a constancy of rough beach sand.
 
it was found in a sandstone that had a constancy of rough beach sand.

They call that "mudstone". Sounds like you have a nice spot that warrants a lot more investigation. You know that is the same formation that "Lucy" the T-Rex came from.

I have a nice collection of BOBs, along with some Edmontosaur ligaments, gar scales, tricerotops and edmontosaurus ribs, along with a very nice full Tricero tooth and a T-Rex tooth. All of it from the Hell Creek formation.
 
Last edited:
It's where most T.Rex skeletons come from....and it was not mudstone. It was sandstone.
 
It's where most T.Rex skeletons come from....and it was not mudstone. It was sandstone.

Interesting then.... I haven't seen those come out of sandstone (but then I'm not a paleontologist)

I was present when a segment of T-Rex femur was found just washed out from a mudstone formation. I saw it laying there and thought it was a log! That thing was MASSIVE!
 
NINJA im curious is there any way to findout what dinosaurs actually sounded like?
 
Very nice!...Ninjafossils.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom