What's new

Change Find-US Mint Commemorative Cent?

mountainplayer

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Messages
641
Reaction score
193
Golden Thread
0
Location
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Hi All,

My wife has a knack for getting unique coins in change and not telling me about them. I usually find them rifling thru her change drawer in her car looking for coffee money. Three years ago it was a beatiful IHP, and today it's this strange coin. I did some web searching and the only thing I can say for certain is that one side of this coin has the Seal of the US Mint.

I'm guessing its some kind of commemorative or souvenier coin that you'd get at a tour of the mint. It appears to be struck on a cent planchet. The color is exactly the same as a cent as well (it had a bunch of black goo stuck to it, and when I washed it off it left the mottled appearance).

Anyone know what the heck this thing is?

MP
 

Attachments

  • Nov 2009 change find pic1.webp
    Nov 2009 change find pic1.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 405
  • Nov 2009 change find pic2.webp
    Nov 2009 change find pic2.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 390
Upvote 0
I think they might be a souvenir, when you visit
 
allen said:
i think it comes with a mint set when you buy those !!

I agree that these came with the newer mint sets.
 
treasurehound said:
allen said:
i think it comes with a mint set when you buy those !!

I agree that these came with the newer mint sets.

DITTO!

These come sealed up in the Mint sets along with one of each denomination of coin from that mint (see picture).

The older mint sets had plastic disks instead of these coin-like ones (see second picture).
 

Attachments

  • mintset1.webp
    mintset1.webp
    17.5 KB · Views: 316
  • mintset2.webp
    mintset2.webp
    38.2 KB · Views: 326
Thanks for the replies, and to Oddcoins for the pics.

So someone actually broke open a mint set and spent them, and it isn't even Christmas yet. I'm friends with a few cashiers at the local mini-marts and they tell me stories of the silver, some of it old, that comes through during the holidays. One guy told me of a kid who paid for $30+ worth of jerky, candy and energy drinks with a stack of silver dollars. The two on top were modern...the rest were pre-1900 Morgan's.

MP
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom