What's new

Check out my best foreign coins found in penny rolls!

lucas1889

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2018
Messages
34
Reaction score
49
Golden Thread
0
Location
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing the hobby for about 4 months now. (probably went through about $250 in pennies). (all customer wrapped rolls).
I would have to say that the 1922 is my best find of all time. From what I understand, it is worth a little bit, and its in amazing condition.

I don't know why the steel cent is in this photo (don't mind it)
1922 George 5th--mintage:1,243,635
1946 George 6th
1938 reich pfennig
1982 50 centimes (Belgium)
1 cent (Bahamas)

Post a reply and tell me your foreign coins found (in any denomination) :headbang:
And tell me if you enjoy finding foreign coins, or if you find it a nuisance. I know some people hate finding Canadian pennies :)


IMG_1948.webp
 
Upvote 0
I don’t mind the foreign coins and a few months ago I started putting them in 2x2s in those plastic page holders in a 3-ring binder organized by country. A very good website is Numista.com for determining mintage, varieties, and metallurgy. I keep the oldest coin for each denomination for each country and save the rest for trading with a friend. Of course, I get a lot of Mexican & Canadian coins that I don’t need.
 
I don’t mind the foreign coins and a few months ago I started putting them in 2x2s in those plastic page holders in a 3-ring binder organized by country. A very good website is Numista.com for determining mintage, varieties, and metallurgy. I keep the oldest coin for each denomination for each country and save the rest for trading with a friend. Of course, I get a lot of Mexican & Canadian coins that I don’t need.
 
Oops, sorry about the double post! We’re driving in the boonies and I keep losing a signal. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!:tongue3:
 
Thanks! I checked out Numista.com. seems like a great resource.
I do the same thing except i bought a cheap 200 coin album with plastic holders for all of my random coins. I bought two whitman canadian small cent folders to start a side-collection.
 
Personally, I love finding the foreign coins. Just the thought that they've had to travel that far, and how they did. If someone went there and brought it back, of if its been spent numerous times along the way... Also bought the whitman books for canadian small cents (find they go in a LOT harder to put in?). Started collecting nickels too since I found a 53 and 59 in a bag. Def jealous of the reich pfennig find, just the history behind that... I've noticed my foreign finds slowing down lately though, wondering if that's because people aren't traveling as much now? If you're sticking to cents, I recently posted a breakdown of my first half-million searched, this was my foreign finds:

1,052 Canadian (25 George VI, 1 George V)- 1/478 cents
22 Foreign coins- 1/22,684
5 Panama, 5 Bahamas, 3 Spanish, 2 Poland, 2 Swiss, 1 ea: Czechoslovakia, Bermuda, Slovakia, New Zealand, Barbados

Overall, the best denomination for foreigners I've found so far is quarters, but for cost you can't beat cents. Best of luck hunting!
 
It is amazing that coins can make it that far through "hand travel" (:
And yes I have difficulty with the size of the whitman canadian cent folders. I think there was a diameter change at some point in time, so they didn't bother to fix the album.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom