What's new

Cheer Leaders

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2011
Messages
12,332
Reaction score
11,520
Golden Thread
0
Location
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier today, a forum member posted a thread bashing another member for posting short follow-up comments such as 'nice finds' repeatedly, instead of posting lengthy replies. The thread was removed within a short time frame as I expected it would be. I am not trying to re-hash that post or any of the comments that were posted within it. The thread had nothing to do with me, but it encouraged me to post this thread.

I hope everyone understands that not every forum member can get out and hunt as much as we would all like to. Some people, for a variety of reasons, participate in the forum much like a Cheer Leader, and offer words of praise and encouragement in their posts.

As for myself, I have been into metal detecting for nearly 40 years. Over the last few years, I have rarely had the opportunity to actually get out and dig. I have obligations to my family, my job, and my house and yard which consume most of my time and leaves very little time for my cherished hobby of detecting. On top of that, I have issues with my back which further limit my ability to hunt. Any more, I consider myself a 'part time detectorist' but a 'full time enthusiast'.

I enjoy looking at the finds that others make. I enjoy participating by posting comments. Most are short, some are more lengthy, all are genuine. Unfortunately, I simply don't have the time to read every single thread or comment or watch everyone's videos. I don't do any of it to gain a huge post count or a record number of 'likes'. I participate to share in a hobby I have loved since I was a kid.
 
Earlier today, a forum member posted a thread bashing another member for posting short follow-up comments such as 'nice finds' repeatedly, instead of posting lengthy replies. The thread was removed within a short time frame as I expected it would be. I am not trying to re-hash that post or any of the comments that were posted within it. The thread had nothing to do with me, but it encouraged me to post this thread.

I hope everyone understands that not every forum member can get out and hunt as much as we would all like to. Some people, for a variety of reasons, participate in the forum much like a Cheer Leader, and offer words of praise and encouragement in their posts.

As for myself, I have been into metal detecting for nearly 40 years. Over the last few years, I have rarely had the opportunity to actually get out and dig. I have obligations to my family, my job, and my house and yard which consume most of my time and leaves very little time for my cherished hobby of detecting. On top of that, I have issues with my back which further limit my ability to hunt. Any more, I consider myself a 'part time detectorist' but a 'full time enthusiast'.

I enjoy looking at the finds that others make. I enjoy participating by posting comments. Most are short, some are more lengthy, all are genuine. Unfortunately, I simply don't have the time to read every single thread or comment or watch everyone's videos. I don't do any of it to gain a huge post count or a record number of 'likes'. I participate to share in a hobby I have loved since I was a kid.
So the guy says "nice find"
Well....there are a lot of nice finds posted on here.
I'm sure the guy does not just say, it if he does not mean it!
Nice finds do not need a 400 word essay.
Banner finds..... well that's another story! :laughing7:
Support goes a long way.
A simple thank you makes a person feel good.:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:
 
Same here! If I say it I truly mean it, I can't hang around for chats most of the time. You really would not want me making long posts, I can get rather wordy. He he he!
It was probably one if my nice finds posts.
 
Hrmph. Well some posts can only be short. Some long. In any forum members are likely to be irked by others behavior. If its not acceptable, by moderation or by members, then things get corrected. Flaming is pretty much taboo. As members its up to us to flag such things so admin, moderators or other members can put a tamp on any fires that might make this meeting place less hospitable.
Oh I'm being pc.... any rate I personally don't take offence at most things posted in forums but if it disturbs me enough its probably disturbing others and should be stopped. Not cutting ones first amendment rights but hey we all gotta live here or there and quite frankly if one is being a troll because of their actions they need a readjustment. Some times it takes a cheerleader.... sometimes it takes an orator. But hey, everyone, thems the breaks in a public domain.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom