What's new

Childhood find

AFitz

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. New here as of today and thought I'd share what I've always thought was a meteorite. Found it in eastern washington on a family camping trip around 20 years ago. One of our family friends at the time told me it was a meteorite. I've since tried to find info about it online. It's passed most of the (magnetic, visual, and weight) tests, yet I haven't seen pictures of anything extremely similar. It weighs just over 1.5lbs, no other coloration besides black and does attract a magnet. What are your thoughts?....
 

Attachments

  • 20160525_174314.webp
    20160525_174314.webp
    928.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 20160525_174328.webp
    20160525_174328.webp
    464.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 20160525_174246.webp
    20160525_174246.webp
    514 KB · Views: 171
  • 20160525_174221.webp
    20160525_174221.webp
    999.5 KB · Views: 177
FYI when I was very young I did try breaking it with a hammer and drilling in to it. Nothing even scratched it.
 
Try filing a small window into the stone, and show the results. Need to get past the glossy exterior, and into the metal interior.
 
Try filing a small window into the stone, and show the results. Need to get past the glossy exterior, and into the metal interior.

Looks like I need a better quality file. I can't make a mark on it.
 
It looks like you can get to an area for an angle grinder to stay/use the flat side of the blade. umm, use the file after to smooth a bit?
 
1.5 lbs is heavy for its size,looks interesting to say the least.. Tungsten meteorite, lol
 
Thanks for all the input. I did get a better file and here are the results of filing until the file was smooth. Looks completely metallic to me under the black outer layer. I can put it on a scale to prove it is 1.6lbs if that seemed like I was off to anyone.
 

Attachments

  • 20160529_150351.webp
    20160529_150351.webp
    349.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 20160529_150402.webp
    20160529_150402.webp
    660.8 KB · Views: 149
Looks meteoric to me. Need to send it off to a meteorite lab for confirmation. You could also etch the exposed surface by putting acid on it.
 
Amazing find!!!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom