OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Years ago when I tried to find China Gulch, I couldn't do it. Today I found it and had it on my tablet. Then I used the good link on the laptop and the gulch showed up just on the edge of the topo map. I save that as a JPEG and will crop that tomorrow. Cedar Creek road is the key to getting there. Years ago it was the bed of the railroad from what I learned. More later...

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Further into this remote section as one nears the Idaho border there are old mines. They produced copper and gold. I believe Clinkers Mine is right on China Gulch. I will have to check this out further when off work. Just found that info, surprised myself!

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking for the Clinker Mine, I did find the Cedar Creek Placer and the date given 1869. This was claimed to be the time period of the Chinaman who hid his gold.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
That clinkers mine might not be correct different links now place that in two spots, isn't the internet wonderful? Still the region is loaded with old mines and claims.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Well got to some of my better research books, the area is the Barrette Mining District. October 1869 first placer gold found, but word leaked out. Stampede resulted in four ghost town sites if your interested, (Louisville, Junction City, Forest City, and Mayville). After 1872 claims were being sold to the Chinese, resulting in the claim of a Chinaman' cache.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
This is dated 1912, China Gulch where hidden gold dust is said to be. Mayville still appears on the map. Cedar Crossing Gulch should be worth checking out. area a.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is how much gold was at Cedar Creek and the man who discovered it. cedar creek.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread