el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks, I am new to this site but have enjoyed viewing everyone's treasures for several months. After yesterdays finds I decided I wanted other people to see what I cam across out in the pasture.

I have been hunting a Chinese Railroad camp for about ten months (when time permits) and have found tons of stuff, most of which many people wouldn't keep. I am just trying to keep it all together for historical purposes. Here are a few pics. of some of the pendants I have found. Four of the five are cut from opium cans. Oh yes, and a photo of the coins from this camp.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• DSC02420.JPG
    DSC02420.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC02430.JPG
    DSC02430.JPG
    588.4 KB · Views: 301
Upvote 8

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
El,please feel free to ask me anytime,I dont know it all,but have researched quite heavily in Chinese lore,as there were many thousand Chinese miners in my area.Privvy,hunting is something I have never done because the camps I hunt were fairly remote,and I dont belive they were at any one spot a great amount of time.The Chinese were treated worse than animals.If anybody thought that a Chinaman was getting anything,they were beaten,killed,or ran off

the cemetaries..................remains(bones)were generally dug up,and shipped back to China,to be reburied there.Until then,food,and coins were left at the burial site as Gifts,and I have seen "caches",of coins (46 being the most)being found in such spots(assumed burial sites?)

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kuger. One other quick question, I also find lots of melted lead all over the place. Is that common out where you are? If so, what were they using it for?

Kinley

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kuger. One other quick question, I also find lots of melted lead all over the place. Is that common out where you are? If so, what were they using it for?

Kinley

Hmmmm,we find lots of it from casting of bullets,but seldom in Chinese camps,they didnt seem to have firearms,as I honestly can not recall ever finding as much as an unfired bullet(we have found fired bullets,which I whole heartedly believe were being fired at the occupants)We find a lot of cleavers and an occasional knife

OP
OP
E

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm,we find lots of it from casting of bullets,but seldom in Chinese camps,they didnt seem to have firearms,as I honestly can not recall ever finding as much as an unfired bullet(we have found fired bullets,which I whole heartedly believe were being fired at the occupants)We find a lot of cleavers and an occasional knife

I'll be. I find clumps, globs, and droplets of melted lead scattered throughout this camp. it is pretty common. I have over 200 fired cartidges of all sizes. Only a few are military casings. One thing I have learned about the Chinese out here, that scraped, picked up, and kept just about any metal they could get there hands on. Some of the casings have had the primers knocked out, intentionally. Maybe they were making little tinklers or chimes?
Thanks for the info.

Kinley

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be. I find clumps, globs, and droplets of melted lead scattered throughout this camp. it is pretty common. I have over 200 fired cartidges of all sizes. Only a few are military casings. One thing I have learned about the Chinese out here, that scraped, picked up, and kept just about any metal they could get there hands on. Some of the casings have had the primers knocked out, intentionally. Maybe they were making little tinklers or chimes?
Thanks for the info.

Kinley

yes,they were very industrious,you got my wheels turning now.I will have to ask my partners their experience with that!One thing though is most of my sites are pre casing,for the most part.Of course there was lay over(occupation at later dates etc) I have a couple very good friends that have much more experience than I,in the RR type sites,I will ask them.I do know that they find those tinklers you speak of,and we always thought they were Indian use....I have never ever found one in my sites.Have you ever found a bullet mold or any gun parts?

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an amazing display of finds!! Talk about touching history. This is a prime example. Nice going.

OP
OP
E

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes,they were very industrious,you got my wheels turning now.I will have to ask my partners their experience with that!One thing though is most of my sites are pre casing,for the most part.Of course there was lay over(occupation at later dates etc) I have a couple very good friends that have much more experience than I,in the RR type sites,I will ask them.I do know that they find those tinklers you speak of,and we always thought they were Indian use....I have never ever found one in my sites.Have you ever found a bullet mold or any gun parts?

These possible tinklers are made from actual fired casings. They would use a small cut nail to knock out the primer area. If it was a rim fire they just hammered a square hole through it. No bullet molds (probably to late for bullet molds) or gun parts in the camp. All but a hand full of the spent cartridges are pistol casings. I kind of thought they fired a pistol to signal wake up time, back to work, etc. Who knows. I don't think the Chinese laborers were packing pistols, but maybe a crew foreman?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These possible tinklers are made from actual fired casings. They would use a small cut nail to knock out the primer area. If it was a rim fire they just hammered a square hole through it. No bullet molds (probably to late for bullet molds) or gun parts in the camp. All but a hand full of the spent cartridges are pistol casings. I kind of thought they fired a pistol to signal wake up time, back to work, etc. Who knows. I don't think the Chinese laborers were packing pistols, but maybe a crew foreman?
Yep,thats exactly the "tinklers",I have seen found in other later camps.I once heard that the rimfire and center fire cases were punched in Indian Territory to prevent the Indians from reloading spent casings?Seems it would have been easier to just take em with you?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread